Emotional Manipulation: Guilt(Video)

Three

Is feeling sad, and showing sadness, about something that happened or something that someone did, emotional manipulation?

Because I think I do that, although I guess its possible that I am faking sadness in order to induce guilt.

Is feeling sad, and showing sadness, about something that happened or something that someone did, emotional manipulation?

Because I think I do that, although I guess its possible that I am faking sadness in order to induce guilt.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to watch my video. To borrow from wiki

Psychological manipulation is a type of social influence that aims to change the perception or behavior of others through underhanded, deceptive, or even abusive tactics.[1] By advancing the interests of the manipulator, often at another's expense, such methods could be considered exploitative, abusive, devious, and deceptive. 

Thus, if you are simply expressing your emotions, feeling your emotions, and communicating your genuine feelings, without having the sole purpose of communicating, verbally or nonverbally, that you are upset in order to change the behavior or perceptions of others, then you probably aren't being manipulative. 

Thanks for responding joel. I found your video interesting

I think that I may at times be communicating non=verbally that I am upset, in order to change the behaviour  or perceptions of others,so it is something for me to watch out for.

Thanks for responding joel. I found your video interesting

I think that I may at times be communicating non=verbally that I am upset, in order to change the behaviour  or perceptions of others,so it is something for me to watch out for.

I appreciate that. It's something that I'll have to stay aware of as I have done it and am capable of doing it still. 

I would just like to add that we need to all be careful about this. If we could not be direct with our caregivers we might have got the habit of using guilt or shame or neediness as a way of influencing people to get what we want sometimes in subtle ways - maybe without even realising we are doing it. We may not do it at first but when we get really close to someone or have been dating them for a long time, our old patterns may come out due to the attachment bond with parents being projected onto them on a subtle biological level. Thanks for the excellent video!

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.