[H&W] Calorie Restriction and Ketogenic Diets as Non-Toxic Cancer Therapy

Considering that I use intermittent fasting and a very low carbohydrate diet, I found this presentation by Thomas Seyfried very insightful.

He doesn't actually talk much about what cancer patients should be eating, but some suggestions can be gleaned from the data he presents.

Here's a shorter Q & A on ketogenic metabolism:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 5 months later...

I was extremely skeptical at first, especially when he said that cancer is not a genetic disease.

I then proceeded to watch the entire presentation to have my mind blown and fundamentally change the way I think about cell biology.

I study inflammatory pathways so I definitely want to incorporate this to my research.

"People have their whole livelihood wrapped up in gene theory, and you are not going to change the mind of those people, especially when their salary depends on them not believing in this."

Can privatization solve this problem?

We currently have enough evidence to warrant follow-ups and further investigations but people at top medical schools and hospitals like Sloan Kettering are pleading ignorance, shielding themselves with academic authority and elitism. I guess it is only a matter of time. Remember our old friend Gregory Mendel? He was branded an outcast by the scientific institution of his time and he ended up with the title of "father of modern genetics" years after he died. It's quite tragic that we still do not learn from our past.

The current understanding is that cancer is not caused by inflammation, but that cancer cells use inflammation to stay alive and to grow. Inflammation in short is a natural process during immune reactions. White blood cells are called to aid when bacteria enter the bloodstream and do their work. The first one to notice the connection between inflammation and cancer was Rudolf Virchow who noticed that cancer cells also contain Macrophages. 
The reason for that seems to be that while the tumor starts to grow, it has little problems getting nutrients. However, the more it grows, the more nutrients it needs. By luring immune cells in, the tumor can use their ability to  start growing blood vessels from the cancer to the healthy tissue. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1993983/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16874721

The Warburg hypothesis gave rise to a new approach in getting cancer cells aerobic again. Dichloroacetic acid is used in severe diseases of the metabolism. However, researching this molecule's attributes is not on the top list of the pharmaceutical industry because it cannot be patented anymore. 
If this theory about inflammation is correct there would be a simple remedy. There is already a cheap drug available that fights cancer. Aspirin could help both fighting inflammation and cancer. Any bets on how pharmaceutical companies will research that connection?

Quite some time ago I devoured information about how cancer cells do not initially become cancer cells because they mutate, but because they have been hijacked by tiny bacteria that always reside in our bloodstream in great numbers. And that it is the reason why cancer cells always get the same mutation as a side effect of being hijacked by these 'micro' bacteria. Don't remember the name for them.

It makes sense that it is not mutations that initially cause the cancer, since if it was, then there should be many many more different mutations going on that does not make cancer, such as perhaps glowing cells, or nasal bones, or teeth, or tree bark, or whatever else biologically possible, anywhere in the body, yet we do not typically see that.

Does that video mention anything about this? If not, anyone else heard about this? Or is this the first time?

I think I remember where I can find information about this.

• 3 weeks later...

It is probably more accurate to say that cancer is an epigenetic disease.

High inflammatory diets not only shift metabolism and hormonal pathways, they also change how our immune system behaves. It is accurate to characterize this as epigenetics, but we need to be mindful of which behaviors in our lives contribute to the change.

Here is a short video which came across my YT feed today regarding all the tests available currently to screen for cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkdafbQvXRM

I was extremely skeptical at first, especially when he said that cancer is not a genetic disease.

I then proceeded to watch the entire presentation to have my mind blown and fundamentally change the way I think about cell biology.

I study inflammatory pathways so I definitely want to incorporate this to my research.

"People have their whole livelihood wrapped up in gene theory, and you are not going to change the mind of those people, especially when their salary depends on them not believing in this."

Can privatization solve this problem?

We currently have enough evidence to warrant follow-ups and further investigations but people at top medical schools and hospitals like Sloan Kettering are pleading ignorance, shielding themselves with academic authority and elitism. I guess it is only a matter of time. Remember our old friend Gregory Mendel? He was branded an outcast by the scientific institution of his time and he ended up with the title of "father of modern genetics" years after he died. It's quite tragic that we still do not learn from our past.

I am reading a book called Tripping Over the Truth, which examines the history of the study of cancer. It may be something that will interest you.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripping-Over-Truth-Metabolic-Illuminates/dp/1500600318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443894699&sr=8-1&keywords=tripping+over+the+truth

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.