What (if any) is the objective evidence that call-in shows are the best way Stefan can promote freedom in the world?

TruthBeTold

I think its a missed opportunity, though.

Who is missing an opportunity, and for what? If you are convinced there are philosophically-minded, rational people over on Reddit, go find them and gather them up. You can even post your own material there and here. Stefan, Mike, and Stoyan are busy working on content relevant to the paying customers.

[...]I'm still at a loss for any takeway from this discussion other than the general consensus to be (to paraphrase) "fuck em". I'd hoped for better, but if this community doesn't want to reach out, then I can't make you. I think its a missed opportunity, though.

uh, uh...! :(

...My heart strings, they've been plucked. It's like a chord. The right combination of things said for just the right effect as my soul weeps for the lost souls I've condemned.

If all the context you had was this single quotation, you'd get the impression that this community is a bunch of apathetic, passive people who are cynically rejecting anyone who'd require the least bit of convincing, and going back to playing cookie clicker while listening to some depressing music, wasting away in a world which needs them so much.

Is it worth mentioning that you've presented a false dilemma? "Either rebut these reddit users or you aren't reaching out and helping anyone" is a pretty dramatic thing to drop in there, like it's nothing.

I could make the case that focusing on the people most likely to be receptive would be a better use of your time, rather than the kind of people you've painted them as. If you cared so much about them, I think you could have shined them in a better light.

And I don't know, maybe you know a lot about helping people and reaching out. What experience do you have with that? Have you been able to bring a lot of personal and political freedom to people's lives?

You aren't a donator, you haven't mentioned anything you've actually done beside talking to some random strangers on Reddit. I'm not inclined to take advice on moral virtue from you. At least, not without good arguments, or success stories, a good emotional appeal, a demonstration of your passion about the subject, bribes, other things, probably. I mean, how hard are you really trying?

I'm sorry to have disappointed, lol.

• Upvote 2

Who is missing an opportunity, and for what? If you are convinced there are philosophically-minded, rational people over on Reddit, go find them and gather them up. You can even post your own material there and here.

I actually do a huge amount of work evangelizing FDR in many areas and help counter misinformation about Stefan and the show. In a way, what I tried to do in this thread was return with some common feedback from outside of the FDR community with the intention of bringing it here and starting a discussion. I don't see this at all as an "us vs them" mentality - we're all for freedom, and if there are barriers between these communities, I think its nice to work towards alleviating them.

That said, I'll have to take some time and reflect about how I approached the topic here in this thread to see if there is something I could have done more effectively.

Stef did a very excellent podcast called "Troll Spotting", which will give all a good idea what to look for in spotting trolls, particularly in thread titles. You can download it from the Bronze Section podcasts.

Oh wait.

Aha, hadn't noticed

How can the show improve... pay for it...?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.