Prevalence of Low Testosterone in Men

Studies have shown that low testosterone affects 4 to 5 million men in the United States, yet only 5% get treated for it*. On average, men today have about 20% less testosterone than men the same age did just two decades ago**. 

Testosterone is not just for getting boners and big muscles. It affects mood, energy levels, and self-confidence. Low testosterone levels have even been linked to health risks such diabetes, heart disease, depression, osteoporosis, and even early death***. And it's not just a problem for old men and young boys. 

Why isn't low testosterone being talked about more given how important it is, and how prevalent (estimated 25% of men) it is? Do you think this is an important issue? 

(I just found out I have low testosterone. I felt fine and have been practicing many health habits. I'm in my late twenties, so even my doctor was shocked.) 

*http://www.bumc.bu.edu/sexualmedicine/publications/prevalence-diagnosis-and-treatment-of-hypogonadism-in-primary-care-practice/

**http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/hormone-therapy/news/print/endocrine-today/%7Bac23497d-f1ed-4278-bbd2-92bb1e552e3a%7D/generational-decline-in-testosterone-levels-observed

***http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/blog/2012/4/9/why-1-in-4-men-have-low-testosterone.html

• Upvote 1

Although I'm skeptical that there are chemical reasons for this like chemicals from plastic bottles and water fluoridation and residual birth control substances in the water supply, I have to just chalk it up to the stresses of general oppression.  I believe there is low testosterone rates being ignored by the status quo media, but more importantly I believe that there are very high levels of suicide being ignored.

Why isn't low testosterone being talked about?  Well, the conspiracy theory is this I think: Likely because it correlates with flouridation and fluoridation has been used with no proven benefits to teeth through ingestion, but basically puts large populations on Prozac (which is 70% fluoride).  We are a society built on terrorism and the stoking of social divisions to garner political clout and voter pools.  Doesn't it seem prudent to keep the terrified herd here at home calm?

This isn't something that I gave much consideration to until relatively recently. I'm in my early forties and working out at the gym is noticably more difficult than it was a decade ago. It might be a good idea for me to get my testosterone levels checked.

I did a quick search for ways to boost testosterone naturally. Among the ones that got my attention were vitamin D and zinc. I take vitamin D supplements because I don't get much sun, and was suprised to learn that many foods that I eat regularly are good sources of zinc (chicken, spinach, flax seeds, salmon, dark chocolate, brown rice, cashews).

Among the lifestyle suggestions I read included exercise, sufficient sleep, and reduction of sugar. I could definitely use more sleep.

Many articles said to take whey protein because it's a good source of branch chain amino acids which boosts testosterone. However, some of those articles read like ads, so I'm not sure how valid the science is. I happen to take whey protein anyway because I can't eat any more chicken, fish, and egg whites than I already do.

• Upvote 1

There really isn't a way to boost testosterone in any significant manner. Supplementing with vitamin D and zinc can technically increase your testosterone, but more because you were already deficient in those those nutrients. If your diet was already in check, there isn't much you can do.

The same with all the other factors. If you aren't getting enough sleep, your testosterone will suffer. But if you were already getting enough sleep, then more sleep won't do anything. The topic of naturally boosting your testosterone is more around identifying what you are doing to lower it.

Alan, if you find your test levels are low and causing issues, you honestly might want to look into Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Of course it would be best to try improving your diet, getting sleep, and so on... but if you have a legit issue, TRT or something similar would be the only effective way to deal with it.

(I just found out I have low testosterone. I felt fine and have been practicing many health habits. I'm in my late twenties, so even my doctor was shocked.) 

Some people can actually do pretty well with low levels of test. Others not so much. It is certainly correlated with negative health effects, but there are plenty of exceptions. The main complications come later in life.

What is weird is that though very high levels of test are correlated with increased strength and hypertrophy, that in the more normal ranges the amount doesn't matter all that much. It takes a pretty decent increase for the effects to matter.

regular sleep schedule rising with the sun helps maintain high testosterone.  Taking Zinc and magnesium (ZMA from GNC) before bed (helps you sleep too) and tribulous in the morning is a good basic stacking of supplements for maintaining testosterone levels.  And it should go without saying that doing so without actually working out ain't gonna' do much.  I also take melatonin sometimes to aid sleep which plays a role in serotonin levels during the day i've read.  Vitamin D also influences this.  I suppose a lot of these things your body would produce on it's own by regular sleep schedule and getting out in nature during the day as well as physical exertion. 

A few drops of iodine (cheap as dirt) every day can help your thyroid maintain healthy hormone production and reverse the effects of fluoride which hampers it. 

I just thought I'd share the stuff I do when I'm lifting weights.  These are all relatively cheap supplements that actually work to maintain healthy testosterone levels.

I am quite sure working out can bolster testosterone. I was consulted by a personal trainer at a gym about it. A lot of guys just sit on the computer and play video games these days, after going to work and sitting at the office, and doing a lot of other testosterone killing.

However, I also have reason to believe there are testosterone reducing chemicals in our food, water and environment. I will go into it more later, as I have been planning to make a long winded and well cited post about it.

Thanks all! I've been doing a lot of research on how to increase testosterone naturally. I would love to get feedback from anyone who knows a lot about this. 

In addition to eating more healthy fats, less sugar, lifting weights regularly, and sleeping 8 hours per night, I plan on taking the following supplements: 

• BCAAs
  • Vitamin D
  • Zinc
  • Magnesium
  • Selenium

There’s also a supplement that combines zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6, called ZMA, that I might take instead of taking the first two individually.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/feedback from anyone who has gone through this.

Thanks all! I've been doing a lot of research on how to increase testosterone naturally. I would love to get feedback from anyone who knows a lot about this. 

In addition to eating more healthy fats, less sugar, lifting weights regularly, and sleeping 8 hours per night, I plan on taking the following supplements: 

• BCAAs
  • Vitamin D
  • Zinc
  • Magnesium
  • Selenium

There’s also a supplement that combines zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6, called ZMA, that I might take instead of taking the first two individually.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/feedback from anyone who has gone through this.

I made a post above to Alan detailing my thoughts. Again, the natural route could have large positive effects if you are deficient in one of those factors, but otherwise you'd need something like TRT.

At the risk of causing a stir, I would also suggest to supplement your nutritional needs with the sexual.

If you encounter a young, attractive woman during the course of the day, such as the cashier at the bank, flirt with her. Check her body out. Obviously, if you are married or in a relationship, this flirtation is going no where sexual, but it wouldn't hurt to use the interaction to jump start the flow of man juices, so to speak.

You certainly aren't harming the woman or your marriage by talking to a stranger or checking her out. Don't listen to the feminists. Women absolutely love getting the once over with some friendly chit-chat (as long as they don't perceive you as lower status than them).

I'd posit that men have lower testosterone because we have fewer stressors. Everything's so convenient these days that we don't really have to work for much.

That said, if you want a test boost, I think the best way to do it is by building muscle mass. You will notice marked psychological shifts which are beneficial in my opinion.

think of testosterone as 'vitality' that's basically what it is in the animal kingdom.  Sexy features, virility, hostility when challenged or threatened.  It doesn't go away just because there is no stress.  Low stress means high testosterone.  You add a stressor and testosterone shoots up, but if you are always at stress it will not, it's basically burnt out.  Think of the hierarchy and body language of the A type personality.  The taller, lower voiced, healthy head of hair, and on and on is also the least stressed and higher in testosterone (not at the bodybuilder level but naturally).  The lower in the heirarchy the more stress.

I suggest a Television show on stress which has robert M sapolsky in it, I've read a couple of his books but they aren't specifically about testosterone.  I think Why Zebra's Don't Get Ulcers is probably the most informative.  https://youtu.be/eYG0ZuTv5rs  There is a shorter essay in the book called "The Problem With Testosterone".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.