Sandplay Therapy?

Devon Gibbons

I have done a little sandplay. The first attempt I ever made at doing mecosystem work was simultaneously anima work (I worked with a Jungian) and after performing a ritual marriage on the roof of my house complete with a paper ring, the part told me that I should play with sand. My therapist told me about sandplay and encouraged me to try it out.

I didn't do it in any particular way, and if there's some way it's supposed to be done, I don't know what it is, but I thought it might look weird for me to go find some random playground and go play in the sandbox, so I bought some "art sand" lol, and a little wooden box that could hold the sand so that I could take sand with me wherever I wanted. (Pictures below).

I find it relaxing, kind of like having a zen garden. I don't know if it's really therapeutic or not, beyond self soothing. I just like the way it feels on my skin, making patterns in it and trying to fight the way that the sand settles itself using coins and other things as reinforcing walls.

sandbox.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuX7bs2qAM

...after performing a ritual marriage on the roof of my house complete with a paper ring, the part told me that I should play with sand...

...I bought some "art sand" lol, and a little wooden box that could hold the sand so that I could take sand with me wherever I wanted....

attachicon.gifsandbox.jpg

It's like your subconscious called you to its shore. Seashore : See sure. lol. I get a kick out of homophones.

I like your design on the lid. it looks like it took you a long time. How long have you had the box? Do you pour it into other containers?

This is for your sad flower  :sad:

2zten42.jpg

I haven't tried that, but I have tried drawing geometric shapes (arabesque) and celtic patterns to achieve a sort of "zen" feeling.

I've heard that kids at age like 2 start drawing geometric shapes and patterns like archetypes. This sandplay seems like it has a lot of potential for expressing this. 

It's like your subconscious called you to its shore. Seashore : See sure. lol. I get a kick out of homophones.

I like your design on the lid. it looks like it took you a long time. How long have you had the box? Do you pour it into other containers?

This is for your sad flower  :sad:

Hey thanks!

I've had the box for 4 years, I believe. I don't pour it into other containers, but that's a good idea.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.