Pleasantville: the prison of the mind

treecher

The movie Pleasantville is playing on my TV right now. While it has been available to me for sometime, I never watched it until now. I don't know what the producers are trying to say but I can see it is how people are imprisoned in their own minds. When watched from the prospective of we who have broken the chains, it is a very interesting movie.

Oh yeah, I remember watching that movie, I really liked that. I'll have to watch it again.

Is this a movie review post?

I remember the first time I watched it I was seeing it through the male actor's experience. I wonder if I'll have as much sympathy now for him falling for that woman.

I do not wish to review the movie and I wanted to keep my commentary generic so as to not spoil potential viewers.

I suspect the major thrust, given the political bent of some folks involved, was to show what might happen if politically conservative people could create their ideal community. However, I think that misses the real point.

Does this comment belong under Philosophy? While watching the movie I realized the characters could leave Pleasantville if they could break the chains in their own minds. Philosophy could free them. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.