I'm becoming annoyed by the trend in computers and software.

DaVinci

It seems like since most computers have lost CD drives that a lot of programs are running a subscription service requiring you to be connected to the internet at all times and keep your stuff on "the cloud". Don't want to do that? Well, tough crap. Oh, and if you do decide to do it and then stop paying you'll never be able to edit your files again. Unless you start paying again.

So I'm curious why the market hasn't adapted to this yet? Go look at reviews for something like Photoshop and you will see a ton of people complaining about this. Yes, there are other programs out there. Some of them free. But it still seems like there is an opportunity here for someone to come in and make some money while alleviating this ridiculous problem.

Anyone else feel my pain? Am I overblowing this situation? Does anyone subscribe to something they used to pay for only once?

http://paulgraham.com/road.html

This trend has been going on for a while now, long before the term 'the cloud' was popularized/bastardized. It provides some advantages, you can get access to your applications and files from anywhere and any device, it provides a lot of advantages to development and allows companies to roll out new updates quickly (that in the old CD-rom model you would have had to wait months for new features and bugs to be fixed, and then often had to pay for an updated version anyways). 

Applications that don't require a subscription are still available from app stores for a one time fee then go to all your registered devices, and I think most apps that work with files don't require you to register for any service, I've never needed any subscription service or had trouble saving and sending files with Photoshop so I'm not sure what you're talking about there...

If applications are cloud-based, there really isn't anything you can do to alleviate that since none of the code/executables are downloaded, everything runs from the companies servers. There's no way to move software that runs behind their walls and move it onto your computer...

Applications that don't require a subscription are still available from app stores for a one time fee then go to all your registered devices, and I think most apps that work with files don't require you to register for any service, I've never needed any subscription service or had trouble saving and sending files with Photoshop so I'm not sure what you're talking about there...

There's are the standalone versions of Adobe programs (photoshop, illustrator, after effects, etc...) that are currently in the CS6 iteration; there's also the CC (creative cloud) versions of the products which you pay a monthly fee for as opposed to the flat fee of the standalone CS6 editions. I believe with the CC you get life-time upgrades and the benefit of not having the big costs up-front, which you trade for ultimately paying more for the product in the long-run. I've not crunched the numbers specifically myself but it seems to me to be about the same cost-to-benefit ratio either way. Though, I will note that Adobe seems to have made quite an effort to make it difficult to find the non-CC edition of their programs.

I'm very interested to hear from other on the topic because I've been tossing around the idea of implementing some sort of premium subscription service down the road for my business as well.

http://paulgraham.com/road.html

This trend has been going on for a while now, long before the term 'the cloud' was popularized/bastardized. It provides some advantages, you can get access to your applications and files from anywhere and any device, it provides a lot of advantages to development and allows companies to roll out new updates quickly (that in the old CD-rom model you would have had to wait months for new features and bugs to be fixed, and then often had to pay for an updated version anyways). 

If applications are cloud-based, there really isn't anything you can do to alleviate that since none of the code/executables are downloaded, everything runs from the companies servers. There's no way to move software that runs behind their walls and move it onto your computer...

I know it is great for companies to be able to update old software easily, but it is also a way for them to get away with being lazy. Something doesn't work out of the box? Upgrade over the "cloud"!

Sometimes the upgrade actually takes a step back from the previous version. You see this all the time. Problems that didn't need fixing were fixed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.