Dropping the "A" bomb in a Mommy group!

Molly

In a Facebook group for moms I responded to a topic about what to do if the child of a friend hits, chokes, screams, or acts aggressively toward your own child.  The original poster thought the child might be a "psychopath", he's also just 5.

I suggested the child could be acting out because of abuse or bullying at home, with a caretaker, or at school... what do I know, but nobody else suggested that's what it could be.  The defensiveness of the moms who claimed to also have "that kid" that followed was disappointing, but not shocking.  I consider myself to have been one of "those kids" growing up and acted out aggression on others, mainly my siblings, so I know what I'm talking about.  

Is this a lost cause talking openly about this subject of child abuse? 

• Upvote 2

Society has to attribute random labels to children such as 'psycho' and to pass moral judgement because to do otherwise provides a huge red flag about the quality of parenting. It is easier to assign full moral responsibility no matter what the child has encountered in the past.

It is an irony that the original poster is defining the child as a psychopath, when they don't seem to be able to express empathy with a very troubled 5 year old.

I would keep talking about it. Maybe find some articles on the link between anger and child abuse, although I am not sure if that would help if they don't want to change.

I wouldn't stop speaking out however, as the denial of cause and effect in parenting is exactly what abusers want.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.