Stephan's commenting on youtube comments

utopian

So you may have noticed Stef has been putting out videos specifically targeting youtube comments. I have felt, and also noticed some of you commenting, that Stef has not been on the forums much. I felt purturbed, as I thought he might be spending some time around here, and I might get the chance to chat with him a bit. Furthermore, who in their right mind would knowingly delve into the cesspool of filth known as youtube comments? After all that time about talking about not wanting to waste time and life after his cancerous near death experiences, Stef is purposefully going to wade in this collective stupidity?

But ya know then I get to thinking... one of those philosophers, Plato I think it was, said "philosophy is in the minds of the people" and that is where he had to go to do philosophy, in the markets out amongst the people. All of us here at free domain radio are most likely pretty much on the same page as Stef, and Stef talking to us may be more of a practice of preaching to the choir. Where better to introduce philosophy, but the modern marketplace of youtube? Where could he convert more people to his kind of thinking, here on the boards of free domain radio, or outside of this realm? 

Stef's intro to his youtube comment videos is quite trolling in itself, though I find it funny. It is a good way I think to get more attention, to get people listening to him about stuff, and maybe some people will sit there listening to him, and eventually get caught up in this whole philosophy thing, starting them down a path of aligning with more philosophical thinking.

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea for Stef to be doing this?

• Upvote 1

If you want Stef to chat with you, come up with an interesting question and call into the show.

I totally agree. Another possibility, do some significant research or amass some sort of following and develop a following. Other than James Flynn, there really haven't been too many interviews recently and I can't remember the last non-call-in-show debate that I've listened to of FDR. 

I'm currently working on research with regards to fascism in colonial Jamestown and the effect of physically possessing written promises on one's self control. They're exciting subject to me, but I'd love to know what research other FDR listeners have down that further validity for the NAP, UPB, and Philosophy. 

That would be me. :)

For god's sake mike why?!?! I lose an IQ point every time I scroll into the madness of the comments section on youtube  :P

And for all you saying to call in, I am fixing on it, I am just busy, and for several reasons I kinda gotta plan for it.

I think more than half of youtube comments are only waht they are because youre not talking to the persona face to face. :)

Seriously try to imagine what all this would sound in public palce or between you and him/her (commentor)

But ya know then I get to thinking... one of those philosophers, Plato I think it was, said "philosophy is in the minds of the people" and that is where he had to go to do philosophy, in the markets out amongst the people. All of us here at free domain radio are most likely pretty much on the same page as Stef, and Stef talking to us may be more of a practice of preaching to the choir. Where better to introduce philosophy, but the modern marketplace of youtube? Where could he convert more people to his kind of thinking, here on the boards of free domain radio, or outside of this realm?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. If anything the forums are for the detail now and Stefan often graciously gives us that detail in the donator podcasts. I've watched the board grow and mature over the years which now has some great contributors that Stefan's contribution to it is much less important than it once was.

That said, I do miss his contribution, particularly since the call in shows are no longer live events, but understand the constraints on his time. Reaching new listeners is what the show has always been about. Personally I've been seeing this as a means to move on into my own direction and becoming less dependent on FDR as a whole. It feels like things have rapidly changed, which in turn makes my own development all the more important to change and improve as well. Time to take up that gauntlet.

Stef's intro to his youtube comment videos is quite trolling in itself, though I find it funny. It is a good way I think to get more attention, to get people listening to him about stuff, and maybe some people will sit there listening to him, and eventually get caught up in this whole philosophy thing, starting them down a path of aligning with more philosophical thinking.

Yes, I think Stefan has always had a penchant for trolling the trolls, but in a tongue in cheek fashion and for connecting to the wider audience.

• Upvote 2

I think more than half of youtube comments are only waht they are because youre not talking to the persona face to face. :)

Seriously try to imagine what all this would sound in public palce or between you and him/her (commentor)

Ever been to an Occupy rally? ;)

• Upvote 1

So you may have noticed Stef has been putting out videos specifically targeting youtube comments. I have felt, and also noticed some of you commenting, that Stef has not been on the forums much. I felt purturbed, as I thought he might be spending some time around here, and I might get the chance to chat with him a bit. Furthermore, who in their right mind would knowingly delve into the cesspool of filth known as youtube comments? After all that time about talking about not wanting to waste time and life after his cancerous near death experiences, Stef is purposefully going to wade in this collective stupidity?

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea for Stef to be doing this?

I listen to older podcasts while I'm at work. I'm in the middle of Volume 3 (itunes). It sounds as if Stefan was, once upon a time, pretty active here. I can imagine why he no longer is. Many of the podcasts involve him discussing disputes and altercations that took place here. Dealing with people and their web courage to that extent had to be pretty taxing. I don't blame him for not posting anymore. (If it were me, I'd make up a secret avatar and post/comment that way. SO BEWARE. He could be anyone. O.O)

• Upvote 2

Nope, though ive seen some videos. And while i do see your point i must point out that in youtube comments you can have multitude of people unlike in occupy rallies.

My point was that people can be incredibly rude right in your face. It used to be proximity lead to politeness, but that really hasn't been my experience for the last decade.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.