It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010) | Teen Suicides

I watched the movie 'It's Kind of a Funny Story". It was enjoyable and humorous due in large part to Zach Galifianakis, but afterwards I was left feeling unsettled by what I had watched. Take a look at this clip and see if you can guess why...

It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010):

Thus I went ahead and made a video review of the movie, in which I discuss the larger issue of youth suicide. I sprinkle in some of my personal history dealing with depression as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMCFBmNcc20&feature=youtu.be

Here are some statistics in case you're interested.

Youth suicide statistics in the US (2013):
4,878 suicides / year for youth between 15 and 24
Suicide is the 2nd largest cause of death among youth
Estimated 100-200 attempted suicides for every death by suicide (youth)
"Statistics indicate that males die by suicide more frequently than do females; however, reported suicide attempts and suicidal ideation are more common among females."

yeah what a shit mother. This is kinda why I LOVED the movie. The parental failure stares you in the face.

That lack of listening to her son and her admission to having failed him enough for him to land in such a place. She has to pretend that it's perfect for him so she doesn't have to take responsibility for what she's done to him and what she hasn't done FOR him when he needed her the most.

yeah what a shit mother. This is kinda why I LOVED the movie. The parental failure stares you in the face.

That lack of listening to her son and her admission to having failed him enough for him to land in such a place. She has to pretend that it's perfect for him so she doesn't have to take responsibility for what she's done to him and what she hasn't done FOR him when he needed her the most.

I agree with your analysis 100%

Maybe it's because humor was used as a tool for humiliation in my family, but I feel disgust and anger that a topic so serious and painful as teenage suicide was made into a comedy. Nevertheless, it's exactly what you'd expect in a world that turns a blind eye to child abuse.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.