What is the Philosophy to life?

Freedom4TheVirtuous

I can't find one.

UPB gives you a lot of freedom.

Morality tells you not to do four things.

Psychology tells you to basically be ashamed of being anything other than what they tell you (Modern).

Freud tells us we need routine Psychoanalysis.

Jung tells us to look at imagery and study it's influence on us.

I see biological reasons to do things.

I just find no reward or overall satisfaction in anything anymore...

I am still wondering what philosophy "produces".  Other than curmudgeons :laugh: .

Was Jung into Gestalt psychology?  It's an amazing field and I don't think it is limited to images.  I think it can be used in conceptual thinking as well.

Isn't it strange that some people find no happiness and reward when other people do?  Maybe philosophy is just a reaction to your life right now.  Maybe when you are unhappy, you resort to philosophy for answers.  But then, it does not really produce anything.  They say wisdom is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Biological...most likely.  Get some fresh air and go out for a jog (think I'll do that right now).  Maybe get some bloodwork done.  People are naturally happy.

The meaning or purpose of your life is whatever you choose it to be. The fact that you don't enjoy anything anymore is a huge red flag to me. How long have you been feeling this way? Have there been any stressful events in your life recently?

All human motives can be traced back to self replicating molecules. It is easy to see that all human behaviour arises from the reproductive instinct. Natural selection gave us large brains capable of complex problem solving and culture. 

Psychology tells you to basically be ashamed of being anything other than what they tell you (Modern).

I've literally never heard of any Psychologist telling people to feel ashamed of anything. Where did you get that one from?

Freud was wrong in virtually everything he claimed about Psychology or Psychoanalysis. He also faked his evidence for his irrational theories in order to seemingly proof them. Nowaydays I think it's generally accepted that he didn't add anything to Psychology, but rather set it back half a century with his non-sense.

From hat I undersand about Jung, similar things apply to him. He wasn't a cheat like Freud iirc, but his theories are still just about as much irrational non-sense as Freud's were.

When was the last time you felt any sort of reward, stisfaction or happiness? And what were you doing then?

I've literally never heard of any Psychologist telling people to feel ashamed of anything. Where did you get that one from?

Freud was wrong in virtually everything he claimed about Psychology or Psychoanalysis. He also faked his evidence for his irrational theories in order to seemingly proof them. Nowaydays I think it's generally accepted that he didn't add anything to Psychology, but rather set it back half a century with his non-sense.

From hat I undersand about Jung, similar things apply to him. He wasn't a cheat like Freud iirc, but his theories are still just about as much irrational non-sense as Freud's were.

When was the last time you felt any sort of reward, stisfaction or happiness? And what were you doing then?

Thanks Robin,

I thought about what makes me happy the most. I have a ton of things I can think of.

Here's a few I'd like to share:

Standing up against corruption - whether verbal/physical

Correcting my own bad behaviors - whether Philosophically or just insufficient habits, etc.

Socializing with the wonderful people in this community.

Finding ways to sell the ideas f Peaceful Parenting/Anarchy to people I meet every day:

From The Dentist to the Cashier down the road.

That's just the beginning but I hope it's helpful to your question.

Your question has helped me Robin - great way to start the day too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"The Meaning of Life" series by Stefan

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DCD723AD652910C

I can't find one.

UPB gives you a lot of freedom.
Morality tells you not to do four things.

Because you're looking in the wrong place. Don't go out looking, go in and explore. 

No idea what the philosophy of life is. If it has to do with the meaning of life, or of some inherent purpose, well that's quite the subject.

I'd argue that the idea that life has meaning is faulty, not because life has no meaning, but rather because meaning isn't applicable to the concept of life. It is a bad question. It is like asking "what color is the number 2?". Certainly you can answer "it has no color" and this would be true, but it would be more accurate to call out the question on account of implying that numbers can have color. If someone you asked you what emotion your fork was experiencing, you could say that it is emotionless, but it would make more sense to say "given what a fork is, that question makes no sense".

Life is a high order concept describing entities which self-replicate. This class of entities have done so for billions of years, and the theory of natural selection describes the various forms we see. The start of the replicators, that is a molecule that could self-replicate and successful did so, was just a physical process. There is no meaning in physics, there is explanation, we can explain the physics of self-replication and how it can create life through the generations, but there is no purpose.

Some may say that the meaning of life is to reproduce, but that is incorrect, reproduction is simply the result of self-replicating molecules in conjunction with natural selection. There is no meaning or purpose to reproduction, just as there is no meaning or purpose in the formation of elaborate crystal structures. It is just particles behaving according to the laws of physics.

With that said, why not drop the idea of there being some higher purpose and instead look to yourself. The capacity to derive meaning comes from the control of your mind and body. It is the capacity for your thoughts, for your desires, and for your wants to manifest themselves into reality.

Imagine living as a ghost, unable to interact with the world. You try to talk, and nobody hears you. You try to touch the bark of a tree, and your hands fades through. You are simply an observer, unable to change anything.

What makes life worth living is the ability to manifest your will into the world. If I want to make a song, I can do it. If I want to talk to a person, I can do it. If I want to attempt to create political change, I can do it. Point is, my will which is of my own choosing is capable of having a relation with reality, and that its relation is based on the actions I choose to take. To not take action is to live as a ghost.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.