I would like Stefan to do a show on how to go about studying language.

Sashajade

There was a podcast recently about the power of language and I would like to get better at using the power of language. I mean I know reading teaches you a ton of new words and how to use them in the right context. I just want to learn more about specific ways to practice this skill. Thanks :)

• Upvote 1

Just out of curiosity - why do you think Stefan would be qualified to give such expert advice? He sure knows how to use language, he is very skilled at the manipulation of words. But in my experience knowing something and knowing how to teach it are two different things. Of course it could be true that he is a really good language teacher, not saying it's impossible. Just not necessarily likely given the information set I see.

You know, I practiced english through listening to excessive amount of audiobooks, sometimes - as was the case with the book called Quantum Thief - I failed to grasp half of the chapter's words (but then it turned out that they were words the writer made up without explanation in the beginning). Then I translated Moly's book On Truth to both practice and sharing it with other less bilingual countrymates of mine, and now I'm writing my own book in english, while also translating his other books. The only key in my experience is practice and being constantly exposed to the language. For example when I wanted to study Italian I changed the World of Warcraft's language to italian, since I got most of my basic english from the game. 

Reading poetry also helps a lot. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.