Pros and Cons about buying a 3D Printer

I own a 3d printer and use it for varying purposes. I mostly used to use it for my small business I ran in college for making custom toys and props.

For hobby purposes it's incredibly useful, but beyond that, you won't get much of a return on investment on it. It is also worth to note that you need to have a pretty decent skillset in 3d modeling in order to get full use out of these printers.

I don't run my business anymore but I still use it to make custom displays and other knick-knacks (see below)

What exactly would you want to use the printer for and how much 3d modeling experience do you have? (Also, there are many kinds of 3d printers, FDM, SLA, etc)

01.jpg

• Upvote 1

At the moment, people overhype the technology for the everyday user. There is no question that it will be a product in everyone's house in the future, but at the current state, it is only for people who know what they are getting into.

I say this because people get the false impression that it is easy to use, that they can make whatever they want, and that it will make their lives a lot easier. Well... It really isn't that useful for the average consumer. It is great for developers, engineers, and hobbyist, not so much for casual users.

I own a 3d printer and use it for varying purposes. I mostly used to use it for my small business I ran in college for making custom toys and props.

For hobby purposes it's incredibly useful, but beyond that, you won't get much of a return on investment on it. It is also worth to note that you need to have a pretty decent skillset in 3d modeling in order to get full use out of these printers.

I don't run my business anymore but I still use it to make custom displays and other knick-knacks (see below)

What exactly would you want to use the printer for and how much 3d modeling experience do you have? (Also, there are many kinds of 3d printers, FDM, SLA, et

Thank you guys for all the input :) 

I just discovered a website that sells a 3d printer at around 300$-400$ with decent reviews. Well I always strikes me to how the printer is going to be really useful when the dollar collapse. I don't know how its going to be useful but I have a feeling that it will be. haha! I can throw in that much money for a 3d printer. I'm always buying gold and silver on a website everytime their shipping cost is free. 

The main cost isn't in the printer, but in the consumables.

3d printer consumables has gone down.. at least according to this website http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20150503021555&SearchText=3d+printer+filament

at least its more cheaper that a regular printer ink right? :D

At the moment, people overhype the technology for the everyday user. There is no question that it will be a product in everyone's house in the future, but at the current state, it is only for people who know what they are getting into.

I say this because people get the false impression that it is easy to use, that they can make whatever they want, and that it will make their lives a lot easier. Well... It really isn't that useful for the average consumer. It is great for developers, engineers, and hobbyist, not so much for casual users.

Well it takes some brain power to operate pretty much anything that has been normalized.. like driving.. and a computer! it takes a little bit of an attitude towards the approach.. most old people I know have already convinced them selves that computers arent for them.. including a smart phone. 

With a 3d printer I can make my own custom desktop casing haha! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.