Wisdom

shirgall

Well, it's not my work, and it's not advice, but I see your point.

Let me try this one. "Why do philosophers lose the culture war to politicians that claim the destiny to control your lives with a past of destruction and broken families? Because politicians have taught us all that we can't handle the truth and their convenient lies are far more tolerable."

Better?

Shirgall, this might come as a shock, but the form of the argument contradicts the content.

"UPB" = <false>

:)

That's not true, since the argument doesn't claim universality. It just says "usually", which is rather true. So it may be that the poster was too made by an arrogant hipster who knows nothing about life, but it might just be someone who's fed up with those kinds of posters and uses their style for ironic purposes.

It also does't say that ALL such posters contain bad advice, just that some of the worst advice usually comes in the form of these posters

Well, it's not my work, and it's not advice, but I see your point.

Let me try this one. "Why do philosophers lose the culture war to politicians that claim the destiny to control your lives with a past of destruction and broken families? Because politicians have taught us all that we can't handle the truth and their convenient lies are far more tolerable."

Better?

That statement is not false..... But it's kind of depressing and immature (by that I don't mean you). "I lost because the game is rigged!" My question would be why do philosophers bother playing a politically or culturally based game?

That's not true, since the argument doesn't claim universality. It just says "usually", which is rather true. So it may be that the poster was too made by an arrogant hipster who knows nothing about life, but it might just be someone who's fed up with those kinds of posters and uses their style for ironic purposes.

It also does't say that ALL such posters contain bad advice, just that some of the worst advice usually comes in the form of these posters

You're right, I glossed over the word "usually". Not to mention the fact that this poster doesn't give advice but merely a statement. As you say we have no way of knowing if the author is a selfish, ignorant hipster who knows nothing about life or this was done for the sake of humor. Speaking of which, I believe we've destroyed the joke utterly and to the point where life support would only be rubbing salt in the wound.

Isent this just a meme?

Darth Vador, Mr. T, and Gollum walk into a bar. All three cry out, "Who's looking for trouble?!?" An unsuspecting hipster turns around and says "Me-me!"

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.