What personality type(s) is associated with adhering to Postmodernism?

Donnadogsoth

I'm not asking what Postmodernism is--it's as I understand it the rejection of "meta-narratives" in favour of a kind of philosophical-political nihilism couched in bloviated, pretentious, and obscurantist writing--I'm asking what kind or kinds of personalities gravitate toward it?  Is there a psychological theory behind why someone would basically blow their philosophical brains out with Postmodernism?

I'm not sure, but I want to say narcissists. Here's something I wrote recently. 

By the time he is an adult, the Narcissist has become the ultimate postmodernist. He fancies himself as flawless, unique, and beautiful, without regard to the facts. So, rather than working towards achieving high standards of moral excellent, when the Narcissist gazes upon his own reflection, he simply redefines whatever he sees as the pinnacle of quality; no matter how petty, cruel, and incompetent he truly is.

The image that this brings to my mind is of the special kind of “artist” who, rather than working hard to to learn skills through countless hours of practice to create a wonderful artistic achievement rich with meaning and metaphor, instead opts to create a 3 foot diameter smiley face with bloody used tampons and justifies the existence of such an atrocious mess through the use of terms like “avant garde” and “interpretability”.

It’s not only an insult to the concept of standards, it’s just downright repulsive.

Here's the full article link here. 

https://medium.com/@joelpatterson_52315/narcissistic-supply-emotional-vampirism-as-a-symptom-of-unmet-childhood-needs-3b01d0f083a1

• Upvote 1

One personality type for certain is the narcissist. My buddy Joel wrote this great article that talks about this, here:

https://medium.com/@joelpatterson_52315/narcissistic-supply-emotional-vampirism-as-a-symptom-of-unmet-childhood-needs-3b01d0f083a1

Here's a quote:

By the time he is an adult, the Narcissist has become the ultimate postmodernist. He fancies himself as flawless, unique, and beautiful, without regard to the facts. So, rather than working towards achieving high standards of moral excellent, when the Narcissist gazes upon his own reflection, he simply redefines whatever he sees as the pinnacle of quality; no matter how petty, cruel, and incompetent he truly is.

The image that this brings to my mind is of the special kind of “artist” who, rather than working hard to to learn skills through countless hours of practice to create a wonderful artistic achievement rich with meaning and metaphor, instead opts to create a 3 foot diameter smiley face with bloody used tampons and justifies the existence of such an atrocious mess through the use of terms like “avant garde” and “interpretability”.

I'm not sure, but I want to say narcissists. Here's something I wrote recently. 

It’s not only an insult to the concept of standards, it’s just downright repulsive.

Here's the full article link here. 

Well-written article, Joel.  I was going to suggest Postmodernism is a function of laziness, as per the art example you give, but laziness doesn't seem a core trait of the narcissist, who exhibits lots of energy, albeit directed toward their addiction.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.