Knowing but then...

Susana

So I just heard the teaser for the Truth about George Washington and feeling some strong emotions, I'm preparing to be disappointed. The liberty movement with so many Americans like Alex Jones and Max Keiser [Obviously of course FreedomainRadio) have made me feel that America/Western Life/ All life is worth saving(i/e has value and worth), life is worth living to the fullest, and that there is so much potential prosperity and fulfillment. 

It is such a change from before where I had a sense, a feeling that since Americans were willfully ignorant, they deserve all the bad things that inevitably will boomerang back. Its like the quote roughly summarized as: "If you dont stand up for other people, when they come for you.... noone is left to stand up for you"

I have to admit that from a young age I was aware of all the hypocrisy in the world. The fact that 3rd world nations(insert pc term) are suppressed, the fact that not only did Iraq not have weapons of mass destruction, nor were they involved with saudi arabia or any attack on the USA and yet we invaded, slaughtered, destabilized. Or like Immortal Technique has said "Why dident the NRA go into black communities and help them defend themselves, instead they were left to the democrats." The atrocities repeat themselves in reality and in the newspapers.

Don't really know the question, 

Maybe the legends of the past are nothing compared to the legends of today. Today we have self-awareness, peaceful parenting, morality without religiosity, etc. 

Even just the awareness that foreign aid is a pot of gold to kill over. 

Well, it's no surprise that Parson Weems's hagiography of George Washington produced some lasting urban legends... but there's a lot more gold in the video than just the cherry tree incident being apocryphal. Give it a listen and take heart in the idea that a bad apple didn't necessarily spoil the barrel, but that fame-seeking 20-somethings can sometimes spark international incidents. 

I have a hard time understanding why the Founding Fathers are put on a pedestal.

What comes to my mind now, all though I know most of the history, is that they opposed the most powerfull country at the time according to this page. Risking their lives to create something for themselves. I dont know any people who are willing to risk their life to make a new nation.

But I guess they had alot of support from the people so that it was inevitable for someone to initiate it anyway.

He had the balls to put himself in harms way for freedom from tyranny. Puts him above almost anyone else in history in my estimation. Revisionism of rebellion, I have found, leads invariably to an acceptance of what came before, an assumption that freedom would have been granted through peaceful means. It is curious that rebellions lead to freedom (at least the promise of it) in history when viewed retrospectively from a safe vantage. 

He had the balls to put himself in harms way for freedom from tyranny. Puts him above almost anyone else in history in my estimation. Revisionism of rebellion, I have found, leads invariably to an acceptance of what came before, an assumption that freedom would have been granted through peaceful means. It is curious that rebellions lead to freedom (at least the promise of it) in history when viewed retrospectively from a safe vantage. 

Do my ancestors get equal credit for being involved in the first European rebellion in the colonies, the Long Finn Rebellion? Do my ancestors get credit for being cheated out of land by Washington's war bonus scheme (yes, they lived in Virginia, and did get some land in Ohio, but what could have been)? If only Albert Gallatin had not talked the Whiskey Rebellion out of continuing their armed conflict, how differently would the world remember Washington?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.