17 Year Old Defends Her Right to Dress Comfortably

they send kids home for visible bra straps these days? i mean, even i will admit that i've seen some pretty darn short shorts on teenage girls lately, but a visible bra strap? really?

i guess the young ladies in question should just go braless. problem solved right? ;)

I don't think this issue is about boys. This issue is about control. Boys might be what they said or what she thinks, but I don't think that is the case.

This was about making an example out of her to show everyone else that they are in control.

Load of dingo's kidneys.  Claiming they're not distracting is spineless lie.  Oh, poor baby, she just isn't comfy, all widdle pwincess self, unless her widdle shorts crawl up inside her.  Like another few inches of fabric will bring her to complete collapse.  Oh, and a shirt or blouse...woo hoo, that's oppression for ya'!  Any girl claiming infringement is either lying her spilling-out butt off and knows it, and/or needs a kick in said butt.  Non-violently of course.  Grow up.

Though I hate to say it, revealing clothing is distracting, but not just for men. I mean I suppose if you are all half naked, maybe you don't notice, but almost all of the females I've talked to have the same issue. It isn't even a matter of if you want to look or if they are attractive, there is just this pull.

It is like once your eyes travel onto the path of the neckline, you can't help but get lost in the valley of boobs.

Seriously, put this girl into a class where there happens to be a stereotypical plumber with half his ass hanging out fixing something in the background and see if she can pay attention to the teacher.

But ignoring that, this whole being comfortable with your body and "objectification" crap is lying. You wear revealing clothing to cause sexual attraction. You aren't displaying that you are comfortable with your body, you are instead conveying to others that you are of sexual maturity and that you are interested in sex.

I will often wear tight fitting clothing to show off my muscles. Larger women will tend to show a lot of cleavage because they tend to have huge breasts.

It isn't that it isn't possible that you can't be conveying that you are comfortable with your body. My coworker used to be 190lbs and she is not down to about 135. She recently wore some sort of slightly revealing clothing. She was doing this to break the unhealthy relation she had with her body previously, where she was embarrassed to show any skin at all.

Certainly everyone has insecurities about their body, but the majority of people who show off skin are doing exactly that: showing off. It has nothing to do with insecurity and everything to do with sex.

There was something my therapist told me that I think is quite vital to understand. Society is structured almost entirely around sex. Sex is almost inescapable.

• Upvote 2

Learning in schools isn't spontaneously driven by the students desire to be there and study.  I generally find it hard to care about the details in a corrupt system.  So with this I want to start off  by saying %$#^ school.  Few if any of the kids want to be there in the first place and I see little point in criticizing any non-abusive behaviors they might have in such a crappy situation as is being a teenager in modern crap society.  Kids who want to study should have a place to do that without sexual influences distracting them.  Kids who want to be flirty/explore their sexuality etc... ehhhhh there is an age appropriate discussion in there in the first place, but if it were healthy behavior they should have a place to explore that without having to sit in a classroom.  Forced education is immoral and corrupt and leads to this kind of crap in the first place.  No one can get what they want because people aren't free to choose their environment (outside of private schools / Montessori / homeschooling etc.)

The issue with groups of people is that one person can have an effect on numerous people.  I'd argue the school system is the one distracting these kids from learning by forcing them into the hellpit of modern education.  Being forced to study stupid things at an artificially set pace without getting any sense of your genuine interests and autonomy is a hell of a lot more distracting to your mind than someone dressed provocatively.  Most of these kids don't want to be studying geometry in the first place, so it is hard to argue it is possible to distract them from that task.  (there is a nugget of something in there I can't quite flesh out).  Distraction is only possible when you actually want do be doing something.  At least in terms of relevance to the situation.  Someone can be really distracting in a concentration camp, but isn't really what you should be focused on when evaluating the situation.

The whole sexual provocativity thing... ehhh I mean there are studies on sexuality and in general most emotions making people a bit stupid/distracted.  It is difficult for me to figure out...because then you can go full blown the other direction into nudists walking around not feeling sexual around each other.  I'd love to see the same IQ lowering studies done with nudists to see how they react.  America and breasts versus Europe and breasts would be also be a good example... or the Middle East, or Victorian eras with their scandalous ankle flashers.  What counts as sexually provocative in people's minds certainly seems subjective/cultural much of the time.  There is certainly soooome objectivity that goes beyond culture though, don't get me wrong, but bra straps are going to effect different people differently.

So we have #1.  Involuntary schools are evil hellpits where the minute details of their dress code is a futile discussion.  #2 - Modern childhood sucks and I feel bad for anyone going through it.  #3.  Sexuality and comfort with ones body are interesting topics to be explored in situations of safety and security.   

• Upvote 3

Yeah good point, Eh Steve, it's not distracting unless kids are genuinely interested in the subject. The girl who was posting this picture around assumes that her classmates care about class. Maybe they do? I dunno. Maybe they are actually engaging, but that's highly unlikely. And if a subject was THAT good, but a girl in class was dressed scantily, I'm pretty sure anyone smart enough to be interested in an academic subject wouldn't be so easily swayed. Their frontal cortext can outweigh their reptilian brain. 

• Upvote 1

In a free market schools would be at liberty to set dress policy however they wanted, it's undeniable that certain types of clothing such as very short skirts, tight shorts, yoga pants, etc, these all distracting. They're distracting for most normal healthy males and even some females, but it's probably an order of magnitude worse for young boys going through puberty. 

The problem with the notice that was put up is that it makes several very bad inferences. First of all she's inferring that she is being shamed for her body, she isn't. She's inferring that her education is being put above that of boys, which it is not, there are surely rules by which boys follow in order to protect girls education. Lastly she infers that boys are only distracted by girls because they objectify women, which is a stupid feminist assumption about men and how their brains work, it completely ignores the fact that millions of years of evolution have created a strong natural response in men to react to a healthy female body and mentally priorities that above damn near everything else. This idea that males wouldn't be distracted if they were taught to not objectify women is completely laughable.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.