Hi, I'm James and I'm in high school.

I've been thinking about what I want to do as a job for quite a while now, and I felt really stupid for not thinking of posting this question sooner.

I'm very interested in medicine as a whole but mostly psychology. I'm also interested in politics and making change. I really want to find a way to incorporate the majority of my interests in a career that I will enjoy (as well as profit from). I'm well aware of the impeding economic collapse based on the statistics that I've looked into.

I would really appreciate any feedback regarding this.

Thanks.

(Also, if this is the wrong place for this topic then please let me know.)

For long term planning you'll want to think about what kind of jobs will maintain their value during trouble times, if the economy does start to crash then jobs such as politicians may not be the best place to be, medicine will always be in demand but that is a path which requires something like 7-8 years of education which is an insane investment so that's something you have to think very carefully about, what kind of funds you'll need to complete school and how you'd pay that debt back.

With regards to things like psychology I think you'll find that these are going to be hard fields to get work in because the amount of women who go into these fields seems to be constantly growing, but the amount of people finding work here is terrible, it's a more general problem with university at the moment where people are getting fairly useless degrees and just ending up with debt they cannot pay back.

I'd personally recommend that if you want to invest in your future by taking higher education then look at taking a STEM degree, engineering, maths, mechanics, computer science, and possibly in addition to that things like law/medicine which legally require those degrees in order to work in the fields. Do some research into how many young people are earning degrees and how many of them struggle to put them to good use in the job market afterwards, aim to get something you're confident will be a benefit. A degree in psychology to my knowledge won't get you anywhere you need to go on to do a lot more studying after the degree before you can use it.

Hi, I'm James and I'm in high school.

I've been thinking about what I want to do as a job for quite a while now, and I felt really stupid for not thinking of posting this question sooner.

I'm very interested in medicine as a whole but mostly psychology. I'm also interested in politics and making change. I really want to find a way to incorporate the majority of my interests in a career that I will enjoy (as well as profit from). I'm well aware of the impeding economic collapse based on the statistics that I've looked into.

I would really appreciate any feedback regarding this.

Thanks.

(Also, if this is the wrong place for this topic then please let me know.)

IMHO you will not find out much about what you love doing by thinking about it - you can think forever without accomplishing anything

get out and try things, get some hands on experience and you will start to find out what things you find fulfilling and educational

then you will be able to make more informed decisions on what is worth investing your time in

For long term planning you'll want to think about what kind of jobs will maintain their value during trouble times, if the economy does start to crash then jobs such as politicians may not be the best place to be, medicine will always be in demand but that is a path which requires something like 7-8 years of education which is an insane investment so that's something you have to think very carefully about, what kind of funds you'll need to complete school and how you'd pay that debt back.

With regards to things like psychology I think you'll find that these are going to be hard fields to get work in because the amount of women who go into these fields seems to be constantly growing, but the amount of people finding work here is terrible, it's a more general problem with university at the moment where people are getting fairly useless degrees and just ending up with debt they cannot pay back.

I'd personally recommend that if you want to invest in your future by taking higher education then look at taking a STEM degree, engineering, maths, mechanics, computer science, and possibly in addition to that things like law/medicine which legally require those degrees in order to work in the fields. Do some research into how many young people are earning degrees and how many of them struggle to put them to good use in the job market afterwards, aim to get something you're confident will be a benefit. A degree in psychology to my knowledge won't get you anywhere you need to go on to do a lot more studying after the degree before you can use it.

What about therapy?

This isn't job advice, but if you're very interested in psychology, these two websites are golden. 

TheLastPsychiatrist.com

TheRawness.com

---------------------------

This website is interesting because of its controversial position on the amygdala and modern politics, but AC's amygdala attack hypothesis has served me very well.  (Knowing what an amygdala freeze looks like, and then generating them in public puts a smile on my face.) 

AnonymousConservative.com/blog

--------------------------

I know it's ideal to weave together you personal interests with your professional life, but not nearly everyone gets to do that.  Hence, a STEM degree is the better bet - and you can determine how to weave psychology into your work. 

What about therapy?

Honestly I'm not sure, I personally think that things such as therapy will be seen as somewhat of a luxury during any kind of collapse, if that is one of your primary concerns, it's hard to back up that kind of opinion with data though, that's very much a gut feeling kind of a thing. I'm not sure what is required to be a licensed therapist either, that's something you'd need to look into and what kind of time frame is required to achieve that. Sorry I don't think that's terribly helpful.

Honestly I'm not sure, I personally think that things such as therapy will be seen as somewhat of a luxury during any kind of collapse, if that is one of your primary concerns, it's hard to back up that kind of opinion with data though, that's very much a gut feeling kind of a thing. I'm not sure what is required to be a licensed therapist either, that's something you'd need to look into and what kind of time frame is required to achieve that. Sorry I don't think that's terribly helpful.

No, this has been very helpful.

Thank you.

I disagree, firstly, we have no idea how long the reminants of capitalism will drag along the state. Japan has had zero interest rates since the mid 90s and they haven't collapsed but instead stagnated. I think a lot of people presume that there is going to be a huge debt implosion and we will all somehow be fighting for survival. Whilst this may happen, it is by no means assured, the West may limp on for 10, 20, 30 years or huge productivity gains in the private sector may yet save governments.

The collapse itself, if it does come soon, may be over quickly if governments withdraw and allow it to take its course.Bear in mind that a career will be done over 40 -45 years.

Jamescian, I would not take the collapse as either assured or imminent and I would not presume that it will be prolonged either. I would also think that those who still did have money in the collapse would be crying out for therapy.

I don't think there is a single role in the world (parenthood aside) that has the potential to so deeply impact individuals in the first person. I know from my therapy how incredible the experience has and is for me and how life changing it can be. Not only can therapy help to heal victims of abuse, it can also directly intervene in the cycle of abuse and save future children from having history repeat itself.

It can also allow you tremendous potential once you master therapy for spreading various messages that can help influence humanity in a positive way. You can think about someone like Stef, who spreads messages through podcasts or someone like Alice Millar or Gabor Mate, who have made unique insights and sold millions of books on the horrific impact of child abuse.

If therapy is something that you think you will love, then I think it would be a great choice.

Medicine may be a good route to consider, perhaps nursing, because the baby boomer generation is very large and getting old and creaky, and is going to need a lot of help passing on. We don't have the manpower to handle them all.

Technology is a great field if you can learn super fast, but if you can't dont bother, because as soon as you learn something something new comes out that replaces it.

Customer service is projected by the government to be the fastest growing field in the future, as technology takes over more and more jobs. Also, any jobs that require empathy. 

Personally, I think teaching will also be a very lucrative field, as less and less jobs become available and more and more people who do not know what to do with themselves decide to go to college to see if they can make something of themselves. I aim to be a professor in maybe a decade as a career. 

I agree with DaviesMa on any collapse potentially taking a long time to occur and being over quickly but it will leave behind long lasting issues of trust in the system and the market, we'll have to enter a recession before the market corrects itself, which will cause people to horde and save what little they have, especially the job security being an unsure factor.

I'm fairly sure however that people would see therapy as a luxury cost, your happiness is a luxury and during hard times people do away with luxury and focus on working hard and providing the basics like paying your rent, food, pay the bills and then save the rest in case you lose your job. Earnings and spendings during a recession are way down, any jobs which provide non essentials are the ones at the greatest risk, obviously nothing is certain and you could potentially do just fine during a recession but it's a case of playing the odds.

However if being a therapist is something you aspire to and really want to do then it's not something you should give up lightly, the world needs more good people in roles like this for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.