France Bans Supermarkets Throwing Out Produce

France has recently passed a bill that will force supermarkets to donate their food waste to charities, supposedly to cut down on food waste in general. I believe that this is just going to distort the market even more than it already is in France, there is probably a good reason why the supermarkets don't just sell the food waste to farms or donate it to charities. What effect do people think it will have on the economy in France?

I was just looking into food waste by supermarkets and apparently in the UK the supermarkets have iniated their own programmes to cut down on food waste by donating it to charities, improving inventory methods and using it as alternative fuel sources. If they are doing it voluntarily my question is now why aren't the French companies doing it, are there regulations in France that make this unviable?

I was involved in volunteering with homelessness and food bank activity.  I was going to a Catholic outlet which drew from the dregs of the greater food bank system, and much of what was donated was appallingly bad ingredients if canned or boxed, and fruits/veggies were passable with careful selection and quick eating.  Cans may be years past expiration.  

So on the one hand, if a greater distribution system comes into being, like recycling programs have done in places, then any grocer with marginal stuff has a way to get it collected hopefully without hassle, and overall, there's enough useful quality for a poor person to pick through.  On the other hand, some of it is awful, or downright unhealthy.  The very word, waste, says a lot.

I can't help but think grocers are already cutting down on waste just to save money.  I don't really see lots of grocers finding ways to burn wilted lettuce for fuel.  

I'm tempted to say that it will have no effect on the French economy.  Anyone consuming waste food is already pretty much out of the economy.

• Upvote 2

No company would survive throwing away 1/3 of it's product in a free economy. The state (both France and the European Unions) pay farmers a lot of to produce more than they would in capitalism (Ironically, you can also get money for having your land be barren for a couple of years). These subsidies distort the price finding mechanism and have negative externalities in a lot of ways. 

No company would survive throwing away 1/3 of it's product in a free economy. The state (both France and the European Unions) pay farmers a lot of to produce more than they would in capitalism (Ironically, you can also get money for having your land be barren for a couple of years). These subsidies distort the price finding mechanism and have negative externalities in a lot of ways. 

Do you have any solid facts as to the farming subsidies in France?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.