Popping my Therapy Cherry

Trotter332

Hey FDRians,

I'm going to be starting therapy soon. I'm pretty nervous about it and have been reluctant to go in the past, but it's time to strengthen my relationship with my inner child.

I would like to get some insight into other people's first experiences, advice or recommendations for the first time and, if any, advice for ongoing therapy that you've experienced were helpful to you.

I want to clarify that I don't need to know why you went to therapy or specifics of what was discussed. If you're comfortable sharing and think it would be helpful then feel free. I'm looking for methods of attack and ways that you found helped you get through.

Thank you in advance for any and all contributions. I look forward to hearing from you.

• Upvote 1

First off I just want to say good on you its a hard but great step to take I wish you the best of luck.

When I was in therapy which I should be continuing very shortly when I move state I sometimes found myself telling a lie (often a small one when talking about something I was ashamed about to paint a better picture) or exaggerating (again to paint a better picture or to try and get him to relate to my pain more) just being honest when you spot this with your therapist is good.

That and journaling is all that comes to mind right now, good luck.

• Upvote 1

Hello Trotter, congratulations on  making a brave step.  There are few things from my personal experience that I can share.  Remember that the therapy is all about you, by this I mean you are the "customer" you are in charge, so if something feels off, bring it up, if you at some point feel like its not working out feel free to change therapists until you find the right one.

Look into different therapy types, they are not all the same and some might suit you better than others.

Finally once you find that right person, it will be hard, but the therapist will make it easier for you.  I wish you the best.

Firstly thank you for your input.

Yeah, I think honesty is really important. How do you plan for your therapist to help you if you're just going to lie to them. 

Journaling was something I was doing and stopped when I felt I didn't have the energy to keep going. Funnily enough when I stopped journaling my dreaming stopped as well, or at least awareness of them.

I'm really hoping I don't have to change therapists because the one I'm meeting with has a particular method that looks very good. I think it's called Hakomi. 

To be clear I wouldn't lie consciously I would just sometimes say something and think to myself shortly after that's not 100% accurate and correct it. You could call it a mistake and it turns into a lie when it's not corrected. I would probably call it a lie from the subconscious as it would always paint a better picture ect.

"Plan" made me think I always found it useful to have a few subject matters to talk about before each session to reduce anxiety but the most productive sessions often went in very unplanned tangents which was great. It wasn't so important if I talked about everything I planed as if I wanted to I could talk about it in the next session. Talking about it makes me excited to continue :).

Journaling is a good tool maybe see what your therapist thinks about it.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to watch out for are some therapists that are detrimental to your growth. I have had experienced some myself, and it was difficult for me figure out at those times that they weren't doing me any good. So I would suggest that you keep in touch with some folk about issues that you have with therapist here or someone that you know and trust and keep talking about it. Best of luck to you! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.