Can we add a health and wellness topic section?

Sashajade

I just felt like it would be useful to make a section specific to stuff like medical issues, watching out for our safety and pocketbooks when dealing with doctors, putting out useful info on medications, food, or alternative stuff we can do to heal ourselves. 

• Upvote 7

Agree 100%; a healthy body is essential to a healthy mind. 

especially in the US where within a generation you won't want to have anything to do with the medical profession.

A good portion of the US already doesn't want anything to do with the medical profession, present company included.  Sharing ideas, articles, and especially first hand experiences seems to be a very effective way to break people away from the idea that the medical profession is infallible.

• Upvote 1

While "Health & Fitness" parses out "Science & Tech." yet further, the question would be, is it worth it to do so. Just as there's a "Philosphy" and "Libertarianism, Anarchism and Economics" subforum.

Seems to me like it would be worth it. And if it doesn't pan out, all the stuff there could easily be moved to the S&T subforum.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't hold your breath for the sub-forum, but I find that recording to be fascinating.

I have suffered from tremendous back pain, but I've found that walking, strengthening the erector muscles in the lower back and the latisimus dorsi and rhomboids (between the shoulder blades), and not sitting down all the time contribute to a significantly better quality of life. I think it's pretty tragic that people spend thousands of dollars on specialized bed that are supposed to reduce back pain when they likely make it worse. Give me a firm cot or a spot on the floor and I'm happy.

I'm trying a hammock personally! Glad you've found some solutions to your back pain. Thanks for checking out the story.

There's a vendor that sells custom knit hammocks in my town. I'm considering getting one to hang up on my deck so I can sleep outside at night. Beds are terrible, in general. I'd much rather sleep on the floor. The most comfortable bed I've ever owned is a futon.

I'll let you know how I like the hammock!

Beds are terrible, in general. I'd much rather sleep on the floor. The most comfortable bed I've ever owned is a futon.

+1!

After listening to a biomechanist (Katy Bowman: http://www.katysays.com/ ) I decided to get rid of my big fancy expensive bed and started sleeping on the floor on a mat. Have been doing it for about 5 months now and love it. I work a very physical job and my body has responded extremely well to this change.

Katy Bowman has some really interesting ideas about this, and many other facets of modern lifestyles, and how are bodies are being harmed by activities we consider normal or good.

Plus incase philosophy isn't enough to separate you from the herd, try telling people you sleep on the floor! :D

• Upvote 2

Plus incase philosophy isn't enough to separate you from the herd, try telling people you sleep on the floor! :D

I might just start doing this to try it and see. I've slept on the floor before but I never made a habit of it. Also, I'm going to grab a hammock tomorrow and see how that feels slung across my deck. It's very nice outside right now, so tonight would have been a good night to try it.

I might just start doing this to try it and see. I've slept on the floor before but I never made a habit of it. Also, I'm going to grab a hammock tomorrow and see how that feels slung across my deck. It's very nice outside right now, so tonight would have been a good night to try it.

Yeah, it took a little while to become comfortable. The idea behind this (or at least my poor retelling) is that our tissues are soft, having never had to support our body weight. So at the beginning, it's uncomfortable until these tissues build the strength required. Also, the more frequent movement during the night, combined with the harder sleeping surface, results in a massaging effect on your muscles and helps the body realign itself. But, in her podcasts (link above) Katy does a much better explanation.

Good luck with the hammock! I've been thinking about getting one instead of a tent, but have not slept overnight in one yet. I like sleeping outside, need to make that happen more often.

Just make sure you hang and lay in it correctly! Here are some helpful guides:

http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/how-to-hang-your-hammock/

http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/hammock-angle/

The "hammock angle" is critical. But the hanging I've heard mixed reviews on, as far as how tight/loose you want to get it. Seems like erring on the looser side is better.

How well hung is my hammock?

https://youtu.be/hlHeXp_-048

Thank you very much for the links. Plus reps to you, friend!

I follow her as well! Specifically regarding the importance of squatting. Also I think she is the one I read about how to save your knees when walking/hiking up and down hill (proper gait). I need to check in on her more often! Thanks.

Speaking of proper gait, functional footwear is crucial as well. I cannot wear a shoe with arch support or an elevated heel for more than a couple hours without experiencing extreme discomfort. Heel striking stresses out the leg and hip joints and atrophies the posterior chain of muscles over the period of months and years.

My current footwear:

iXqCEyrIpF.jpg

YjI17Y8Olj.jpg

aROxnyl27E.jpg

mWq6cLsvky.jpg

I just wore a hole in my toe shoes. :(

• Upvote 1

Not the angle your hammock's at, the angle you are LAYING in your hammock. (This one: http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/hammock-angle/) 

What are your current nighttime temperatures? 70* is about what I have here. Been sleeping in the hammock past 5 or 6 nights. It's going fine, but still have back/shoulder/neck pain. Might need to try floor-sleeping.

I laid in it correctly (head on one side, feet on the other), but I think the hooks from which the hammock is hanging need to be separated a little further.

Last night, the low was somewhere between 50-54. Tonight, the forecasted low is a rainy 43 F. :(

Where are you trouble spots for pain? I'm curious if we share anything in common pain-wise.

My main problem areas are upper back between the scapulae, the lower back which I have tweaked a number of times, and tennis elbow on my right arm. I cannot use mice or golf because of this tendonitis in my arm. I also have a little tightness in the hamstrings and hips, which comes from sitting a lot. My years of video gaming and working behind computers caught up with me rather quickly. I was playing around with computers since the age of 4 or 5, so you can imagine how devastated my posture is.

I can tell just by running my fingers up along my spine that there are at least two place where the vertebrae are slightly out of alignment. Compared to everything else, my neck is fantastic but I had a run in with muscle spasms at the base of my skull once before. I'm relatively fit now, but all these historical traumas have me operating from a deficit in physical performance.

I'm curious to know how the generation behind me will fare. Judging from what I see young people doing, I imagine it will be an entire generation of people who cannot look up.

I have 2 twisted cervical vertebrae, going back many years and several different injuries. So as you can imagine, my soft tissue is tight and bunched up in odd places, hips all out of alignment, etc...Quite the mess. My right shoulder (I call it the shoulder - kind of all over my scapula) hurts a lot. Neck is stiff and feels like bone-on-bone scraping sometimes. Any asymmetrical activities (all of them!) make me feel even more crooked.

How about you?

Have you seen either of these videos before? They have been linked around the forums in a couple places.

I've been doing these stretches for the past six months or so, and I have dramatically less back pain, but I also do back strengthening exercises such as dead lifts, rows, pull ups, etc.

Here is me enjoying my stool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPUxX-9d0FA

The stool was a dumpster pick, the roller was $25, and the tie downs were $5.

I think I've done so much forced movement that I don't really know the difference between that and what my body actually wants/needs to do.

Good work on reducing the 'casts' in your living environment!

I used to struggle with stretching enough, or simply moving my body in ways that it wanted or needed to. I noticed though that when I spent more time on the floor, after getting rid of my couches, that this has changed dramatically.

The more you do to honour the temple that is your body, the better you should be able to hear what it needs.

J.D., thanks so much for posting the videos. I haven't watched them in entirety, really only the first few seconds of each. The first move in the first video is something I was doing instinctively. After I got into yoga for a little while, and then was injuring myself with strength and balance poses, I went into an instinctive flow. There were/are many sessions I've sent almost entirely doing that pose he demonstrates (bent backwards with fists in back/hips).

I also have tendonitis in my right arm. I use the mouse with my left hand mostly, and try to switch off as many activities and postures as I can. It really bums me out, because as I said above, I was getting into yoga and had the strength and balance to do some cool poses. But my tendons could not handle it. I listened to some more Katy says, and I think I've done so much forced movement that I don't really know the difference between that and what my body actually wants/needs to do.

One of my favorite things to do is rearrange my house/furniture, and she's given me the inspiration to do some more! Getting rid of my dumb bulky desk is first. Will alternate between low coffee table and top of a dresser. Then switching my bed out for futon mattress on the floor (just for reading/snuggling with kids). Then putting bed (really just mattress & box spring) where the futon was in the guest room/office. The futon in couch-mode is horrible on my back! Then clearing off my front porch for some more floor-sitting area.

So what else are you up to? Maybe I should take some photos before and after these weird feng shui changes. :-D

The stool looks heavenly! 

My advice is to put down the mouse. That's what I did, at least. I've been mousing extensively since I was 9 or 10, when my family got its first IBM compatible PC.

I have a Logitech Wireless Touchpad T650. It was on sale at Office Max for $30, so I grabbed it.

I can operate the touch pad from any surface from across the room if I want using either hand. It's brilliant and relieves a lot of stress that would otherwise bite at my tendon. This is a recent repetitive stress injury that only manifested about 22 months ago. I tried an "ergonomic mouse" but changing the hand position does not really help me attenuate the pain.

I would be fascinated to hear about your Feng Shui experiment!

Elliot Hulse also talks about the standing desk. It's a desk that you can lower and elevate to suit your height. Optionally, you can kneel in front of a traditional desk, but this is going to put more stress on your pelvic floor, hips, glutes and the entire lower body so be ready for soreness. I refuse to use chairs if I have a better option. Sitting down, like wearing shoes is extremely painful for me if I do it for an hour. People who are sitting all day can alleviate the effects by walking around every 15-30 minutes.

The reason why this topic is important to me is because I want to win a weight lifting competition, and I need to get my body aligned, greased, and operating properly to maximize my strength, mobility and performance. Currently, I'm scouring the internet looking for my first competition, so I can fail hard.

There's another movement that may be valuable to you, Mama. It's the air squat, basically a squat without any extra load other than your body weight. I'm at the point where I can sit in the bottom of the squat with my elbows on my knees for a short time and read or eat. This is also the position from which humans were designed to defecate.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.