Interest Matching Site

grithin

For a while I've wanted a site that allowed me to find people based on degrees of interest match.  For instance, if I'm really interested in skydiving, I want to see other people who are also really interested, not just minorly so.  Not finding this anywhere, I went ahead and built it.

I figured, it would be specially suited for this community.  I know there are meetups, but that requries someone start the local meet up and then organize events.  That goes beyond what a lot of people are willing to do for unknown outcomes - will anyone even join the meetup.   With my site, its individual based, not group based.  The effort put in towards either meeting someone or setting it up so that someone can meet you is minimal.

The site is at

http://interest.zone

This is the first version - and, I'm a programmer not a designer, so it has minimal styling.  So, please try it out, give me some feedback if possible, and perhaps clues as to where I might promote it (besides to the one person reading this on here).

• Upvote 2

An acquaintance of mine is building an app to connect people based on personality. What's unique about his project is that it scours facebook then using an algorithm matches people based on similar traits. PM me if you'd like me to connect you.

Nice concept so your the first to be doing this?

How are you planning on making your money from this? Subscriptions? Advertising?

Is there any way we could test it out before its properly released without signing up, anonymity is important for many members of this forum.

There is probably allot you can learn from the online dating industry in terms of marketing - what would be your launch budget? And monthly budget?

http://www.smallfuel.com/blog/entry/popular-ways-to-determine-your-marketing-budget/ might prove useful as there are many different ways to budget for example x% of net profit could be your monthly budget.

You could use the social medias have a like button on your website ect a recommendation from a friend is a powerful one ;). Consider PR contact small online media outlets and you tubers at what stage you do this is up to you but remember the importance of first impressions.

By the way the meet ups for this community area quite successful, I haven't been to one yet but it's on my to do list.

Nice concept so your the first to be doing this?

Not certain if I am the first.  It's a fairly simple idea, and  I don't see why others wouldn't have tried it, but I imagine a lot of others dilute the function  itself  or use simple flags.  For example, a site might give someone the ability to say they like rock climbing, but it doesn't allow any sort of degree of like-measurement.  There's experienceproject.com, but that matches people based on a single phrase.  There's    meetup.com, but I listed some of the issue with meetup     in my first post.

As for money, my plan is to make false profiles that nearly exactly match up with people, get them to agree to meet, then kidnap them and sell their organs.  I kid. 

It will take a long time before hosting the service becomes expensive to me.  I'm more interest in seeing it being used and seeing how I might expand it.  But, as for actually making money, I suppose I can put up advertisements, but that's not generally very profitable from my experience.  And, there's not really an option of selling data since so little data  is collected about the user and data now days is cheap.

As for testing - Yes, you can enter a bogus email.  You get a 1  day grace period before logging in requires email validation - after which, just sign up with another bogus email.  Funny you should mention about anonymity.  I built the site so that access to information is fairly restricted.  That is, you can only see someone's picture or description if you have matching interests, and you can only change your interests once a day.  Of course, this doesn't prevent massive sign ups by bots for crawling (I have other restrictions in place for that).

I'd have to determine my avenues before I determine my launch budget.  I certainly know there are things that don't work.  I put up a  site qlparty.com (quality of life party), and put about 500 dollars into advertising through google and got 0 single field email address submissions.

Yes, I considered putting up social like buttons.  I've done that on previous projects, but there is something else I am missing.  My guess is I have a horrible sense of style and usability, and people are turned away from the site regardless of how good the service is.  And, I imagine adding a "login with X social network" button might help.  But, I figured I'd put the site on here first - give you guys the junk and save the quality stuff for those that matter :D

PS. Also, looking now (since looking after I build it is the best time), I found at least one active mobile app that does interest matching and notifies you when you are physically close to someone with the same interest.  Not quite what I'm going for though.  My attempt is more of a - find someone with your obscure interests anywhere in the world (or localised if desire), but surely not out in the public where the occasion would certainly be embarrassing: Me "I see you too like wearing underwear on your head and are an atheist.  Thank god we met at this church using my connect app".

Not sure where my other post went - said moderator needs to approve it.  Perhaps since I listed domains of other sites that serve for connecting.  But, I will try to sum up.  Probably not    the first of its kind.  No plans for making money, just enjoy building it.  You can test by entering a bogus email. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.