Freud

Koroviev

I've just finished Freud's "Civilization and Its Discontents," and although he brings up some very interesting points I find myself disagreeing with a lot of his premises. The main idea is that because civilization places rules and laws restricting some of our basic desires (murder, promiscuous sex, rape, etc.) we are made guilty and become anxious which leads eventually to neurosis in individuals since they are caught between what is right in the eyes of civilization and their base desires.

My thinking is that the opposite may hold more true to reality. Since the majority of people are raised, and have been raised, in ways that we are just recently finding to be harmful for children, these children are raised learning these desires and discontents, and therefore need a parental figure, usually in the form of government and/or religion, to show them right vs. wrong. Because peaceful parenting and the study of what is best for children did not come around until recently it seems that Freud would have been working from, for lack of a better term, "dysfunctional" population base. 

What are your guys' thoughts? If Freud lived in a world where the benefits of peaceful parenting were known do you think his theories and ideas would be different?

Freud was a narcissistic cocaine user who ostracized anyone from his psychology club who even slightly disagreed with his theories. The theories themselves are unfounded and unfalsifiable, even with the perfect data (which he also fabricated himself for the most part) the theories fail to show anything but his own prejudice.

Imo it's safe to say, that the psychological community would've been better off had this guy never made a name for himself and the further you can distance yourself from his beliefs the better you're off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Freud opened the door to the Oedipal complex, the subconscious, and the concept of psychic distortions arising in childhood, all patent concepts.  If you'd like to move through the door instead of waiting at it, I recommend the following essay:

Beyond Psychoanalysis, by L. Marcus

http://wlym.com/archive/campaigner/74BP.pdf

EDIT:  Transference.  As far as I know, Freud gave us the patent idea of transference.

EDIT 2:  I really don't like the voting system here.  Someones is anonymously pissing on my post and they don't have the grace to let me know who it was.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

In case you would like to have additional views on Freud, I found Alice Miller's "Thou shalt not be aware" highly interesting. She talks a lot about Freud's ideas before oidipus complex. To me that analysis gives the idea that not all Freud's theories are crap :)

I'll take a look

Freud opened the door to the Oedipal complex, the subconscious, and the concept of psychic distortions arising in childhood, all patent concepts.  If you'd like to move through the door instead of waiting at it, I recommend the following essay:

Beyond Psychoanalysis, by L. Marcus

http://wlym.com/archive/campaigner/74BP.pdf

still working through this

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.