Childhood Trauma Leads to Brains Wired for Fear

When I was a newborn baby, I had a broken collar bone, and cried night and day. My father shook me to get me to stop crying. That was far from the only abuse, but you can imagine what it might have been like if he was willing to do that to me. 

This article resonates with me so much I don't even know where to begin. I was surprised to find he suggested yoga, of all things, to help cure the symptoms of brains wired for this. I believe it could work for some personal reasons, but for people like me, whos brains are so shaped by trauma, I wonder if this could ever really be cured. I would think the best people like me could hope for is that it could be somewhat managed.

Nice interview. I've heard from The Menprovement Podcast that Dr. Gupta Amygdala Retraining™ is also very effective for such things. The host had anxiety problems, but I think it was from an injury that ended his soccer career, not his parents.

I've used something called The Release Technique: Abundance Program, & a Taoist meditation practice called Inner Smile, but what helped the most was basically re-living my trauma & experiencing all the emotions I buried when I was a child. I've had a self-sabotaging thing going on my whole life, so I would reassure myself in the midst of re-experiencing the trauma that it wasn't my decision or fault, that I was powerless, & that I did not deserve such harsh punishment.

These were things I logically arrived on a few times before in my life, but what was different here was that I told myself that over & over, in the midst of feeling the trauma. Also, after listening to peaceful parenting stuff, & reading psychology stuff to be vague, I had a better understanding on why this was true.

That was more focused than The Release Technique, but as I went on, I used them all together along with EMDR I think it's called, which wasn't invented by whoever claims they invented it. It's another old Taoist technique, they just didn't call it that.

Emotional Intelligence is also another valuable book in this mix.

• 1 year later...

When I was a newborn baby, I had a broken collar bone, and cried night and day. My father shook me to get me to stop crying. That was far from the only abuse, but you can imagine what it might have been like if he was willing to do that to me. 

This article resonates with me so much I don't even know where to begin. I was surprised to find he suggested yoga, of all things, to help cure the symptoms of brains wired for this. I believe it could work for some personal reasons, but for people like me, whos brains are so shaped by trauma, I wonder if this could ever really be cured. I would think the best people like me could hope for is that it could be somewhat managed.

So sorry to hear this!! :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.