[H&W] Hyperthermic Conditioning

So the sauna increases my IGF-1 which in turn gives me muscles or other goodies. Why shouldn't I just skip the sauna bit and just inject myself with IGF-1 directly?

Take what you want and pay for it. I assume that sauna access is cheaper than pharmaceutical injections. You would be missing out on the stressful environment of the heat shock, though.

How does this apply to over-airconditioned work spaces (it's freezing in my office).

Does this work if I just take a hot bath?

I'm not sure, but I think you have to do a polar bear plunge in a body of water in the winter, or jump from a natural hot springs into a snow-melt river. There is at least one place in Colorado that I am aware of where you can do this - Strawberry Hot Springs outside Steamboat Springs.

http://strawberryhotsprings.com/lodging/

Why not both? Do twenty minutes before exercise and twenty after. Maybe one or the other works for some people. Other people might rather do cold shock like taking a dip in a mountain stream or filling up the bathtub with ice cubes.

I'm still acclimating to the intensity of a dry sauna so forty or more minutes pretty much wipes me out. Last night, I slept a solid ten hours after forty in the box. It was beautiful.

Tonight I did fifty, and it wasn't as stressful. I didn't do any lifting because I'm taking it easy and working on mobility exercises, mainly stretching out the upper and lower back and the hips. I believe that strengthening my back will pay dividends in my future progress and performance at the gym with the serious intensity and weight.

Thanks for the article, Shirgall.

• 1 month later...

I can do 90 minutes now, but I have to drink about 80-100 oz. of water while I do it. It's pretty fucking intense!

That sounds *very* intense. What temperature are you maintaining? The traditional Finnish sauna is 90C, but what you are describing sounds like no more than 50C or you'd be bacon like me.

That sounds *very* intense. What temperature are you maintaining? The traditional Finnish sauna is 90C, but what you are describing sounds like no more than 50C or you'd be bacon like me.

I don't have a thermometer, but my guess is that it is around 50 degrees. The Fins must really like to get steamed up about saunas!

Yeah, I think that counts as raising your core body temperature!

Both Finnish Sauna and Steam Rooms will make you sweat, but the mechanism is different. Sauna is 90C and 10% humidity, Steam Rooms are 50C and much higher humidity.

http://www.sauna-talk.com/sauna-temperature.html

I got it. This is not a steam room or wet sauna, it's dry. It's a little closet attached to the locker room that fits two to three people and it gets up to 50-60 C in my estimation. Consider it a ghetto sauna, I suppose, but it works. From a cold start, it takes about 30 minutes to get going really hot, so I read for the first thirty minutes inside until the book gets too hot to hold in my hands, and then I lay down and do active release therapy on my body pains and massage my facial muscles while I puddle. Towards the end, I do bioenergetics poses (think yoga), but the room is so small that it limits the number of poses possible as the heating element takes up a large part of it.

That reminds me that I completely missed my opportunity to get some sauna in tonight.

It's so flipping great!

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.