They live (1988)

They live (1988), director: John Carpenter.

I first watched this film when I was 10 years of age for the wrestler "Rowdy Roddy Piper" :). I had no idea of the philosophy behind the film. I watched it again a few weeks ago (27 years later) and was stunned by the message contained within it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the parking lot of my local grocery store a group of bagpipers yesterday were piping and everyone was watching. I believe it was a commemoration for Roddy.

My childhood best friend loved WWF and he and his brothers would re-enact the fights they saw on television. His dad looked like Roddy Piper even, with the mullet, and taught Karate. I'd play those Playstation video games of WWF with him and his older brother. 

His family was conservative, but open minded, and funny. This movie has some special meaning. Nada (Roddy Piper) reminds me of that good friend who, at age 7, told me aggressively that Santa wasn't real. I was terrified and taken aback like he had injured me, just like the black guy when Nada tries to force the glasses on him. It was intensely important that I know what he knew. He was very intelligent.

I don't know if I watched it when I was 7, but the WWF thing I think symbolizes the type of zen warfare relationship that conflicting brothers have towards each other and that I was witness to, even without a brother myself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.