Reading list !

bitcoin

Hey everyone,

Lets make a list of the best books for philosophers, scientists and entrepreneurs !

Novels
  • Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
  • The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
  • To Have and Have Not - Ernest Hemingway
  • The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
  • The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway 
  • The Glass Bead Game - Herman Hesse
  • Steppenwolf - Herman Hesse
  • Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

Philosophy
  • Letters from a Stoic - Seneca
  • Poetics - Aristotle
  • Politics - Aritistotle
  • Rhetoric - Aristotle
  • Dialogues and Essays - Seneca
  • Essays - Michel De Montaigne
  • Candide - Voltaire
  • The Birth Of Tragedy - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • The Genealogy of Morals - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • This Spake Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
  • Beyond Good & Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Real-time-relationships - Stefan Molyneux
  • UPB - Stefan Molyneux
  • Seven Conversations with Jorge Luis Borges - Fernando Sorrentino

Science
Physics:
  • Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics - Richard P. Feynman
  • The World As I See It - Albert Einstein
  • The Accidental Universe - Alan Lightman
  • Ideas and Opinions - Albert Einstein
  • Relativity - Albert Einstein
  • I, Galileo - Bonnie Christensen
Technology
  • The Singularity is Near - Ray Kurzweil
Genetics / History:
  • A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History - Nicholas Wade
  • The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
  • Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - Yuval Noah Harari
Atheism:
  • The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
  • The Magic of Reality - Richard Dawkins
  • The Moral Landscape - Sam Harris
  • Lying - Sam Harris
  • Waking Up - Sam Harris
  • The Portable Atheist - Christopher Hitchens

Psychology
  • Thou Shalt Not Be Aware - Alice Miller
  • Breaking Down the Wall of Silence - Alice Miller
  • The Drama of the Gifted Child - Alice Miller
  • The Body Never Lies - Alice Miller
  • Psychology of Romantic Love by Nathaniel Brandan
  • 6 pillars of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Brandan

Economics
  • By the People: Rebuilding Liberty Without Permission - Charles Murray
  • Anatomy of the State - Murray Rothbard
  • Economic Facts and Fallacies - Thomas Sowell
  • The Case Against the Fed - Murray Rothbard
  • Human Action - Ludwig Von Mises

Self-Help
  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R. Covey
  • How to Win Friends & Influence People in the Digital Age - Dale Carnegie
  • How to Win Friends & Influence People- Dale Carnegie
  • Choose Yourself - James Altucher
  • The Power of No - James Altucher
  • Become an Idea Machine - James Altucher
  • The Four Hour Work Week - Tim Ferriss

Business
  • The Lean Startup - Eric Ries
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data tot Build a Better Startup Faster - Alistair Croll & Benjamin Yoskovitz
  • Lean UX: Appying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience - Jeff Gothelf & Josh Seiden
  • The Startup Playbook - David S. Kidder
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding - Al Ries & Laura Ries
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing - Al Ries & Laura Ries
  • 11 Immutable Laws of Internet Branding - Al Ries & Laura Ries
  • Zero to One - Peter Thiel
  • The $100 Startup - Chris Guillebeau
  • Creativity, Inc by Ed Catmull
  •  

Creativity
  • The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win your Inner Creative Battles - Steven Pressfield

These are some of the books on my shelf with more to come -- not in any order of best to worse.

What are you reading?

I would be thrilled to hear !

- Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill

Think and Grow rich has been used by millions of business leaders around the world to create a concrete plan for success that, when followed, never fails. About the author: As a young special investigator for a national business magazine, Napoleon Hill was sent to interview Andrew Carnegie. During that interview, Carnegie slyly dropped a hint of a certain master power he used; a magic law of the human mind-a little known psychological principle that was amazing in its power. Carnegie suggested to Hill that on that principle he could build the philosophy of all personal success-whether it be measured in terms of Money, Power, Position, Prestige, Influence, or Accumulation of Wealth.

- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Steven Covey

The book first introduces the concept of paradigm shift and helps the reader understand that different perspectives exist, i.e. that two people can see the same thing and yet differ with each other. On this premise, it introduces the seven habits in a proper order.

Each chapter is dedicated to one of the habits, which are represented by the following imperatives:

Independence

The First Three Habits surround moving from dependence to independence (i.e., self-mastery):

1 - Be Proactive roles and relationships in life.

2 - Begin with the End in Mind envision what you want in the future so that you know concretely what to make a reality.

3 - Put First Things First A manager must manage his own person. Personally. And managers should implement activities that aim to reach the second habit. Covey says that habit two is the mental creation; habit three is the physical creation. Interdependence

The next three habits talk about Interdependence (e.g. working with others):

4 - Think Win-Win Genuine feelings for mutually beneficial solutions or agreements in your relationships. Value and respect people by understanding a "win" for all is ultimately a better long-term resolution than if only one person in the situation had gotten his way.

5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood Use empathic listening to be genuinely influenced by a person, which compels them to reciprocate the listening and take an open mind to being influenced by you. This creates an atmosphere of caring, and positive problem solving.

6 - Synergize Combine the strengths of people through positive teamwork, so as to achieve goals that no one could have done alone. Continuous Improvements

The final habit is that of continuous improvement in both the personal and interpersonal spheres of influence.

7 - Sharpen the Saw Balance and renew your resources, energy, and health to create a sustainable, long-term, effective lifestyle. It primarily emphasizes exercise for physical renewal, prayer (meditation, yoga, etc.) and good reading for mental renewal. It also mentions service to society for spiritual renewal.

Covey explains the "Upward Spiral" model in the sharpening the saw section. Through our conscience, along with meaningful and consistent progress, the spiral will result in growth, change, and constant improvement. In essence, one is always attempting to integrate and master the principles outlined in The 7 Habits at progressively higher levels at each iteration. Subsequent development on any habit will render a different experience and you will learn the principles with a deeper understanding. The Upward Spiral model consists of three parts: learn, commit, do. According to Covey, one must be increasingly educating the conscience in order to grow and develop on the upward spiral. The idea of renewal by education will propel one along the path of personal freedom, security, wisdom, and power.

- Search Inside Yourself, by Chade-Meng Tan

With Search Inside Yourself, Chade-Meng Tan, one of Google’s earliest engineers and personal growth pioneer, offers a proven method for enhancing mindfulness and emotional intelligence in life and work.

Meng’s job is to teach Google’s best and brightest how to apply mindfulness techniques in the office and beyond; now, readers everywhere can get insider access to one of the most sought after classes in the country, a course in health, happiness and creativity that is improving the livelihood and productivity of those responsible for one of the most successful businesses in the world.

With forewords by Daniel Goleman, author of the international bestseller Emotional Intelligence, and Jon Kabat-Zinn, renowned mindfulness expert and author of Coming To Our Senses, Meng’s Search Inside Yourself is an invaluable guide to achieving your own best potential.

These three books are ones that I've personally read and enjoyed / learned from tremendously.

This will be just off the cuff from the top of my head so I might edit later to add a few more:

Hannibal and Me - Andreas Kluth

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid - Douglas Hofstadter

A First-Rate Madness - Nassir Ghaemi

Getting Things Done - David Allen

Musicophilia - Oliver Sacks

This is Your Brain on Music - Daniel Levitin

The Tao of Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee

Those are my life-changing favorites:

80/10/10 by Douglas Graham (healthy lifestyle)
The Way of the Superior Man by David Deida (understanding my masculine nature)
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki (basic financial literacy)

Real-Time Relationships by... Stef (philosophy for personal freedom)

• 2 weeks later...

Mastery-Robert Greene

Weapons of Mass Instruction-John Gatto

Street Smarts, Hot Commodities-Jim Rogers

David and Goliath-Malcolm Gladwell

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator-Edwin Lefevre

Market Wizards-Jack Schwager

Lying-Sam Harris 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure everyone on here knows the good libertarian books.  Here’s two I like that you may not know.

Survival of the sickest - Sharon Moalem

(Kind of my intro book into epigenetics- It was a good listen)

The painted bird – Kosinski

(My favorite book in collage, one of the best anti-war books of all time)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.