Game development question

AncapFTW

1) Does anyone have any experience making games? If so, can you recommend an engine? I've seen several games that were made with unity, and they looked good, but I want to look around a bit first.

2) Does anyone have any 3d modelling experience?

I want to make an MMO that operates on anarchist principals.

Hi AncapFTW, 

I'm an independent developer myself. The engine I recommend depends on your level of coding experience. If you have no coding experience, I recommend trying the Construct2 engine or Unity with the Playmaker extension. If you do have coding experience I recommend the Unity engine as a whole.

I'll be blunt: If you don't have both significant coding and game development experience, you are not going to make an MMO. By far the most common mistake by novice developers is not setting a realistic scope for their projects.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

I did some programming in highschool and learned to program PLCs at tech school, but that doesn't help you make a game.

Originally I was hoping to develop it as a single player, maybe with a multiplayer mode like Minecraft or Space Engineers.   I thought that if I could find someone with a bit of experience, or after I made it, I could make a sequel which also had an MMO mode.

I don't think I've seen a game with all three modes, but I thought that if everything was procedural, it shouldn't really matter if you have one or a thousand players, except that a thousand will use huge amounts of bandwidth and processing power.  Much of the processing power could be offloaded to the client.

Would it help if you knew the basics of the game idea?  I realize that some of the people on this forum might not care about IP and want to copy my idea, but the basics shouldn't be giving away too much.

Hi AncapFTW, 

I'm an independent developer myself. The engine I recommend depends on your level of coding experience. If you have no coding experience, I recommend trying the Construct2 engine or Unity with the Playmaker extension. If you do have coding experience I recommend the Unity engine as a whole.

I'll be blunt: If you don't have both significant coding and game development experience, you are not going to make an MMO. By far the most common mistake by novice developers is not setting a realistic scope for their projects.

Hope this helps!

Ditto.

Would it help if you knew the basics of the game idea? I realize that some of the people on this forum might not care about IP and want to copy my idea, but the basics shouldn't be giving away too much.

I couldn't help you if you gave more details about your idea, but I'd be wary of attributing too much significance to your idea. Many people have "great ideas", it's only the ones that get made that count for anything.

As for engines, unity seems to be a solid place to start, there are many YouTube tutorials available and lots of resources available in the store.

One important thing to remember is that even if the engine you chose turns out to be wrong it is more important that you have something. If you start now with unity or whatever and spend six months or a year learning and working on the game you will have that much work and experience that you can transfer to the "perfect" engine.

If you spend six months or a year waiting for the perfect engine you'll have nothing.

Also, if you're focusing on design specifically, it might be useful to prototype with a board game format -- even if it's just pen and paper (D&D yo!). :turned:

I think it's a bit too complex for that. For example, NPCs will compete with you, using a simple AI system to get valuable resources first. Sure I could say "you have X rounds to gather it," but the more complex I make it, the more boring it is.

The more interrelated variables you have the more complex the game would get.  For example, strength determines melee damage, but also modifies how fast you can swing it, plus "recharge time" on the attack, plus carry weight, etc.  Endurance changes how much energy it uses, how much long-term fatigue it takes off, not to mention how much general movement wears you out (which is affected by carry weight), etc.  Also, I want to account for character weight, muscle mass, muscle tone, etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.