Cut low end with an equalizer

Fel1x

I was listening to podcast FDR3047 Conquering Stefan’s Ancestors - Call In Show - August 7th, 2015 and I noticed I had trouble understanding what Stef was saying, because his voice was very boomy and the overall sound was quite muddy. My suggestion is to use for example this following tutorial to do a high pass filter EQ. I'm sure you do editing on the voice, but this podcast was very boomy and muddy.

I was using a pair of Genelec G Two's behind an Roland UA-25EX for the listening.

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-process-vocals-for-podcasts-or-voiceover--audio-6969

• Upvote 1

Though I don't have any trouble understanding Stef (when listening to it with monitor headphones behind an audio interface) but indeed the voice is boomy and muddy and overall not enjoyable to listen to. There also seems to be a high frequency noise which is unpleasent.

The tutorial looks, or should I say sounds very convincing. (There is a slight error in the link - delete the 'w' after 'music' and you'll be fine.)

I would very much appreciate if the sound quality were to be raised to an up-to-date level since I believe it really makes a difference. If the microphone is lacking the potential, not even $100 have to be spent for a quality condenser microphone sufficient for podcasting and I would be happy to contribute for that purpose.

• Upvote 1

If the microphone is lacking the potential, not even $100 have to be spent for a quality condenser microphone sufficient for podcasting and I would be happy to contribute for that purpose.

A condenser or even a tube microphone would sound better with average listening equipment and lot better with more expensive equipment. Using good EQ and compressor settings is like good color grading in a movie (eg. Amelie and Fight Club), you might not notice it, but when you do it makes all the difference. So having a signature sound which is muddy and boomy is not giving a good impression.

Here's an example of how good and balanced a really good tube microphone sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.