Is it worth doing a PhD?

Nick900

I have the opportunity to do a PhD in a STEM subject ... computer science but I'm not sure if it's worth doing. It's in the UK so it would only take 3 years, it's very unlikely to drag on like they seem to do in the US, it's also paid about $22,000 (tax free) per year. 

Is it worth doing if I really don't want to become a lecturer? I can't decide if spending 3 years doing it will be useful in the long run or not. 

If you have a scholarship to cover your living expenses, I say do it. Whether you have a B.Sc. or M.Sc. now, you'll find the Ph.D. valuable. Many jobs in STEM fields prefer Ph.D.s and come with an associated increase in base salary. It's going to be a hell of a lot of work though, if it's anything like a Ph.D. here. Pass a candidacy exam before you get to even begin thesis work. Some irritating course credits to fill. Writing the thesis is a lot of work, but the sense of accomplishment is great.

Disclaimer: I don't have my Ph.D., just M.Sc. If I have the opportunity to complete my Ph.D. on someone else's dime, I will. I'm also an engineer and employment prospects are pretty good. Not sure about other STEM fields. Most people I know with a Ph.D. are involved in multiple upstart companies. There are strong entrepreneur opportunities (again, depending on specific field).

I think a lot would depend on what you'd actually be doing. In the commercial IT world, people don't generally care about your paper qualifications unless you have nothing else to show, or if you go to work for a consultancy where qualifications can impress clients. I'd be concerned that computer science postgrad work might be about using taxpayers' money to produce software that the private sector would be better placed to produce, and without the massive marketing and support follow-through that's generally needed to ensure that the software is actually used. It's not as if nobody's willing to fund private sector IT projects just now.

I work in IT myself and if I was doing it all again I would absolutely not have gone to university even for a first degree.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably depends on what you want to do. I don't know about computer science, but as an example I'm in chemical engineering and most PhDs are mostly for doing college teaching, heading research, and doing R&D. You could technically get these positions if you had enough experience and professional development, although that would take much longer.

On the topic of higher starting pay with a PhD, it can be a tradeoff, since the years spent getting the PhD could be years spent in industry, gaining reputation and raises in pay, and probably making more money than the 22k stipend you'd be living on while getting the PhD.

Overall, personally, I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong answer, as this is a purely personal choice and these aspect may mean more to you than they do to me or vise-versa, but these are definitely things to consider. As Mike said, you should do your research and possibly seek out personal experiences of people who have gotten PhDs in computer science.

Things vary a lot in the STEM fields. Some you may need a PhD (because you want to be a professor or job competition), others you already wasted too much time just to get into the field that you really just need to look for on the job expierence. You have to learn how money is made by applying the concepts learned - which I have found is a whole different world then what you will find in a textbook. I am not in computer science but my guess is a phd is a waste.

I have been watching the uploads by Eli the Computer Guy on YouTube the past month or so. He's a YouTuber that does tutorials on computer tech. He's on a cross-US trip visiting tech startups while vlogging about being a technology professional and his experience in computer business.

Myself, I am not in computer science. That's a caveat. From what I understand however, is if you have the skills and are competent--whether you have a degree or not does not really matter.

I'd recommend not asking any school advisors or take their recommendations with a hefty skepticism, because they are being paid by the school to sell you degrees, often. Wherever you are in your career, I recommend a book I just read after having gone through college and dropping out: "Worthless", by Aaron Clarey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.