Police fired 600+ shots; killed hostage

Alan C.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no apologist for the state, but I have been a firearms instructor. Please remember that statistically only 7% of handgun hits are fatal. You cannot count on a handgun stopping any threat with a single shot, no matter what gun or what caliber. Police are taught, quite rightly, to continue to shoot a lethal threat until the threat is gone. Add to this that under stress, even trained shooters will miss an attacker 3/4 of the time in the 10-21 foot zone and will miss an attacker 1/2 of the time if they are in closer.

I'm not excusing it. I'm explaining it.

• Upvote 2

I'm no apologist for the state, but I have been a firearms instructor. Please remember that statistically only 7% of handgun hits are fatal. You cannot count on a handgun stopping any threat with a single shot, no matter what gun or what caliber. Police are taught, quite rightly, to continue to shoot a lethal threat until the threat is gone. Add to this that under stress, even trained shooters will miss an attacker 3/4 of the time in the 10-21 foot zone and will miss an attacker 1/2 of the time if they are in closer.

I'm not excusing it. I'm explaining it.

I thought that combat only cut your accuracy in half.  For example, with my AK-47, using iron sights, I can hit a target the size of the human head 17 out of twenty times at 30ft.  From what I heard, combat would put them at 15 ft before I got that level of accuracy.   I assumed that with 9mm pistols the cop's accuracy would be much higher.

As for stopping people with a handgun, I assume that a bigger round would have more of it, so I bought a 1911.

I thought that combat only cut your accuracy in half. For example, with my AK-47, using iron sights, I can hit a target the size of the human head 17 out of twenty times at 30ft. From what I heard, combat would put them at 15 ft before I got that level of accuracy.

I don't know anything about guns, but under duress at 30ft I assume you might get 3-4 out of twenty? If we assume the cops don't practice very often they might have a starting accuracy of 3-4 out of twenty.

I thought that combat only cut your accuracy in half.  For example, with my AK-47, using iron sights, I can hit a target the size of the human head 17 out of twenty times at 30ft.  From what I heard, combat would put them at 15 ft before I got that level of accuracy.   I assumed that with 9mm pistols the cop's accuracy would be much higher.

As for stopping people with a handgun, I assume that a bigger round would have more of it, so I bought a 1911.

No pistol is going to be more accurate than a rifle in personal combat. Faster to move onto a target, maybe, but not more accurate.

All typically carried handgun rounds are less than 20% of the amount of energy expended on targets as rifle rounds as well.

I don't know anything about guns, but under duress at 30ft I assume you might get 3-4 out of twenty? If we assume the cops don't practice very often they might have a starting accuracy of 3-4 out of twenty.

You'd be amazed how different it is when you are downrange of someone shooting at you. It's a great deal more to talk about that I'm willing to put here, but high stress plays merry hell with fine motor control.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.