Can an anarchist beome a judge?

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am a recent college graduate and while I consider myself an anarchist in that I do not want to actively contribute any energy to the state, I am also finding myself interested in law, consistency in its application, justice, and fairness. I'm not sure at the moment if this is simply an intellectuall interest of mine or if I would / should actually get involved and go to law school.

I am acutely aware that very few lawyers actually work in courts. Most are employed by companies to help them navigate bureaucratic red tape. And even if I were to finish law school and end up in courts, I have doubts that I would end up doing work that I could consider ethically "right". Judges and the whole electoral process they have to go through is incredibly corrupt.

My ideal society that I want to live in would just have the nonaggression principle as the only law, which would sort of put me out of a job in a libertarian/free society. Is it even possible to contribute towards that by going to law school?

What does FDR think?

Thank you.

there would be a place for lawyers in a free society, but their main function would be preventing, negotiating, and/or resolving legitimate disputes between parties, rather than, as you said, helping people to navigate the jungles of modern legality.  Even so, I think if this is really of interest to you, there is a lot of value you could provide to people in the system we have now.  Just so long as you don't think you can change the system from within.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.