Mr. Robot

nate_cham

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would be interested to know what people's opinions of this are as I have access to it on UK Amazon Prime. I have resisted so far because I suspect that it is a 'corporations are evil and greedy' trope.

Any clarification without me wasting about 20 hours of my life woudl be appreciated.

This is one of the more intelligently written shows that you will find on TV in that in most (although not every) respects, it is a fairly accurate representation of how cyber security and hacking actually works. The show is about a very troubled "grey hat" hacker. He definitely has ethical or moral faults, no lily white hero being portrayed here. The first season follows him through a few short weeks as he works for a cyber security company protecting company networks from cyber terrorism and other hackers. Through the course of events, he comes into contact with a hacktivist group that draws its inspiration from the loose hacktivist community "Anonymous". He struggles deciding which side of the line to be on, as he agrees with taking the morally corrupt to task and holding them responsible, but he does not want to commit to the actions which may ultimately harm innocent people including those close to him.

One might think of it as Anonymous crossed with Conspiracy Theory crossed with the Sopranos. There is one other aspect of the show I am deliberately leaving out as it is a significant spoiler, although observant people will pick up on it after the first couple of episodes, if not sooner... hints are dropped all along the way.

If you're looking for a leftist apollogistic slant towards Hacktivism and the Occupy Wall Street movement / anti greedy,corrupt corporations, you will find it here. If you can't handle or simply don't like that so much that it would ruin an otherwise interesting show, then this isn't the show for you. If, on the other hand you can deal with observing and exploring multiple sides of these issues and not assume the show is preaching to you of how things should be, then you may enjoy this show. Or you might not.

• Upvote 1

Eclectic Idealist,

Thanks for the summary, that was a perfect summary of the information I was looking for.

I suppose I like to bury my head in the sand somewhat about the cultural brainwashing that goes on in society so I tend to avoid most things that lean left, (which pretty much restricts me to Clint Eastwood movies nowadays.)

I am tempted by it however so I think I will give it a few episodes and see if I can switch off my propoganda alarm for the sake of my enjoyment.

• 1 month later...

This is one of the more intelligently written shows that you will find on TV in that in most (although not every) respects, it is a fairly accurate representation of how cyber security and hacking actually works. The show is about a very troubled "grey hat" hacker. He definitely has ethical or moral faults, no lily white hero being portrayed here. The first season follows him through a few short weeks as he works for a cyber security company protecting company networks from cyber terrorism and other hackers. Through the course of events, he comes into contact with a hacktivist group that draws its inspiration from the loose hacktivist community "Anonymous". He struggles deciding which side of the line to be on, as he agrees with taking the morally corrupt to task and holding them responsible, but he does not want to commit to the actions which may ultimately harm innocent people including those close to him.

One might think of it as Anonymous crossed with Conspiracy Theory crossed with the Sopranos. There is one other aspect of the show I am deliberately leaving out as it is a significant spoiler, although observant people will pick up on it after the first couple of episodes, if not sooner... hints are dropped all along the way.

If you're looking for a leftist apollogistic slant towards Hacktivism and the Occupy Wall Street movement / anti greedy,corrupt corporations, you will find it here. If you can't handle or simply don't like that so much that it would ruin an otherwise interesting show, then this isn't the show for you. If, on the other hand you can deal with observing and exploring multiple sides of these issues and not assume the show is preaching to you of how things should be, then you may enjoy this show. Or you might not.

Agreed. I watched the first few episodes and I appreciated their treatment of hacking. As someone who is a programmer (I haven't dabbled in hacking personally, but I know enough of the basics) it's nice to hear stuff that actually makes sense, and isn't just programming jargon thrown together in gibberish sentences.

The show isn't engaging enough to keep me watching, though, to be fair, there's only been a handful of shows in the past ten years I've watched for an entire season. TV drama aka melodrama is hard for me to stomach.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.