Landmark case rules in favor of gender fluidity in sports

http://qz.com/465915/a-sprinters-landmark-case-rules-in-favor-of-gender-fluidity-in-sports/

I just found this interesting.  So let the women compete with the men :)

"Although athletics events are divided into discrete male and female categories, sex in humans is not simply binary,” says the court in its 161 pages dissertation, one of longest the tribunal has issued. “As it was put during the hearing: ‘Nature is not neat.’ There is no single determinant of sex." ...

Hold on, they're using a measure of male-ness that's not just chromosomes or penis, and they've been doing that since the 60s. Isn't that gender-fluid to begin with? To accept that there is never a universal and clear-cut criterion for gender?

If women in sports is supposed to be this glorious thing for girls to look up to, and aspire to, what good does it do to see a bunch of self-identified intersex women with genetic disorders, who most girls can never and should never want to be like?

What do these people want??

I have short legs and I can never be successful in sprinting either. THE IAAF IS OPPRESSING ME

It's more interesting when you have some natural limiters on performance. IE, Can run a mile in X minutes and capable of naturally birthing healthy children isn't the same as someone who can't. Though it may be uncomfortable for some people to hear, you're not fully women if you can't give birth to new life and you're not fully man if you can't produce sperm or equivalent. Whole point of sexes is tied to ability to reproduce and which side of the puzzle you fit into on that and the natural limits that gives. If you can't do either of those roles you're playing a different game and aren't working under the same limitations, thus you're in a different competitive category. Isn't that also why they don't like doping, because it breaks the game if you're willing to hurt yourself and break some healthy limitations to achieve the goal? Running X miles and being okay and running X miles with drugs, but dropping dead shortly after isn't the same game.

To me a level playing field is about working under the same fair constraints and then seeing who can perform best under those constraints. The more you remove constraints and break lines the more you break the nature of the game and the ability to have a 'fair' game.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.