I'm a Police Officer..help!

Hello, 

I'm a Police Officer and probably the biggest hypocrite of all time! Long story short - I have chose to become a Police Officer around 4 years ago when I was a statist, and only around 6 months ago I have discovered the virtue and beauty of anarchism. I have already spent years chasing this career, I even chose a university course relating to it, in hope that it will aid me in achieving a senior rank. I cannot deny that I enjoy one aspect of the job - helping the actual victims of crime. Since I have discovered anarchy I am doing my best to make sure that my colleagues are not abusing their powers as well as attempt to educate them about things like -  war on drugs, personal freedom, implications of incarceration etc - I mean, anything I can do to help to protect the people's liberty and at the same time dim the hypocrisy as much as possible . Moreover, hopefully by achieving a senior rank within the police force I will able to make some impact on the way police operates - potential changes would involve reduction of violation of freedom - It's a long shot, I know. I rationalise remaining in the force by thinking that once I leave - I will be replaced by someone who does not have any respect for personal freedom.

What do you guys think? Is it a lost cause to attempt to rehabilitate the force and the way police operates? 

I hope I won't be slammed too hard for my career!

:ermm:

• Upvote 4

you could look to only do jobs in the police that you would be able to do outside the police, like a homicide detective.

you could join a private firm or create a private firm.

in one aspect the only bad aspect of police work could be how you get funded, when you are doing activities that you could privately morally do.

• Upvote 1

I was considering homicide unit. Yes, no matter what I do in a public police force, I will still be funded through taxation. Creating a private security company is good idea, but given the how difficult it is to start a business in the UK I doubt it would work out, but definitely something worth considering. 

I appreciate your comment Cab21 :)

Id like to just  commend you for being honest and having the integrety to come out about your situation and your feelings on the matter.

Besides trying to get job somewhere else similiar or that fits your like and interests... jsut kudos and massively happy to hear you could escape the mental grinder of having to face the reality of your situation.

• Upvote 3

I think (as in I don't know and this is just what makes sense to me, I'm no future teller after all) you may have an impossible path ahead of you. If you were to maintain virtuous ethics and principles you'll be breaking a lot of 'cop rules' which isn't going to get you advanced in rank, which isn't going to get you into a "more virtuous" position.

A very difficult position to be in which I sympathize with you for. I'm assuming your alternatives are quite limited but in my experience, the more hypocrisies and pseudo justifications I've removed from my life the happier I've been. So you can keep going down this path but the justifications and hypocrisy will still be in the back of your mind the whole time. Which will always keep you from being able to say (most importantly to yourself) that you're living as virtuously and ethically as you possibly can.

Again, I'm not saying I know that's the case, I have no idea what it's like to be a copper, especially one in the UK. I'm just saying that's how I'd interpret the situation if I were in it.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree and share the same sentiments with Anuojat above. Good for you for recognizing the elephant in the room and looking for alternatives and fixes. However, a friend once told me that it is impossible to "fix" a system founded on violence. Making the police virtuous is about as likely as infiltrating the KKK and trying to turn it against racism. 

Now, that doesn't mean all is lost. You have invested a considerable amount of time in pursuing your career, and its unreasonable to suggest you change that on a dime. I'd recommend you spend the next 3-5 years on developing a niche skill, or perhaps a new theory on providing security altogether, (I suggest reading de Molinari's work on this), then shifting to some sort of consulting based work. In the current system that's all you can do when the career you want to work in is monopolized by the state. The problem with the consulting world though, is that it usually operates under the bounds of quite constraining and unreasonable regulations, making it a pseudo-private bitch-helper of police. So you're kind of back to square one, but a little further detached.

Another option could just be to say fuck it, float under the radar and provide for your family the best way you can. We are all struggling through this together and you wouldn't want to put yourself through undue/ premature hardship. 

• Upvote 1

I agree and share the same sentiments with Anuojat above. Good for you for recognizing the elephant in the room and looking for alternatives and fixes. However, a friend once told me that it is impossible to "fix" a system founded on violence. Making the police virtuous is about as likely as infiltrating the KKK and trying to turn it against racism. 

Now, that doesn't mean all is lost. You have invested a considerable amount of time in pursuing your career, and its unreasonable to suggest you change that on a dime. I'd recommend you spend the next 3-5 years on developing a niche skill, or perhaps a new theory on providing security altogether, (I suggest reading de Molinari's work on this), then shifting to some sort of consulting based work. In the current system that's all you can do when the career you want to work in is monopolized by the state. The problem with the consulting world though, is that it usually operates under the bounds of quite constraining and unreasonable regulations, making it a pseudo-private bitch-helper of police. So you're kind of back to square one, but a little further detached.

Another option could just be to say fuck it, float under the radar and provide for your family the best way you can. We are all struggling through this together and you wouldn't want to put yourself through undue/ premature hardship. 

https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/45462-proud-to-announce-that-im-quitting/#entry415848

I think you're doing the right thing given the circumstances we all face. One person at a time. One arrest at a time.

It may seem fruitless to "educate" others in your field but over time you will have some impact, however small, that will make things better. The very fact that you are there, that others in the force are being exposed to these ideas themselves IS one step closer to anarchism. Once enough people are educated maybe we have a reduction in both crime and the size of the police. You know your job ultimately is to help make things better and over time perhaps as anarchy grows you'll be hired as a private security officer for a company you respect.

You're on the right path.

I salute you.

Hello, 

I'm a Police Officer and probably the biggest hypocrite of all time! Long story short - I have chose to become a Police Officer around 4 years ago when I was a statist, and only around 6 months ago I have discovered the virtue and beauty of anarchism. I have already spent years chasing this career, I even chose a university course relating to it, in hope that it will aid me in achieving a senior rank. I cannot deny that I enjoy one aspect of the job - helping the actual victims of crime. Since I have discovered anarchy I am doing my best to make sure that my colleagues are not abusing their powers as well as attempt to educate them about things like -  war on drugs, personal freedom, implications of incarceration etc - I mean, anything I can do to help to protect the people's liberty and at the same time dim the hypocrisy as much as possible . Moreover, hopefully by achieving a senior rank within the police force I will able to make some impact on the way police operates - potential changes would involve reduction of violation of freedom - It's a long shot, I know. I rationalise remaining in the force by thinking that once I leave - I will be replaced by someone who does not have any respect for personal freedom.

What do you guys think? Is it a lost cause to attempt to rehabilitate the force and the way police operates? 

I hope I won't be slammed too hard for my career!

:ermm:

My opinion is that you should continue being a cop and put your libertarian ideals to work in the work place. Speak up when your boss demands quotas for victimless crimes. I have told police offices this who have asked this question on reddit before. I think though based on reports from libertarian police they end up hating it because they are forced to do things that they don't like to do, for whatever reason. I think there is probably only so much you could do and it will obviously shape you as well if you spend enough time doing it. I think this question would depend on what country, some regions the police are worse than others. In spite of the state control. I still think it is possible to help people and get what might be considered good results out of government jobs. I don't think that justifies the state though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.