Schoolchild memory, Cuban Missile Crisis

AccuTron

Some random thing reminded me of a fifth grade memory.  I was able years later to use the internet to confirm my recollection of the days of the week.

(I have this vague notion of mentioning this already someplace, but if I can't recall, probably no one else could either.)

It was late morning on a tuesday in elementary school.  The Cuban Missile Crisis had just flared up, and we lived and schooled near the southern Florida Naval and Air bases, the obvious first targets.  We were just given homework assignments for the next monday, and I wondered:  "If we're getting nuked by thursday, do I have to do this homework?"

That is sooooo out of the blue, that it could start all sorts of responses....

Some random thing reminded me of a fifth grade memory.  I was able years later to use the internet to confirm my recollection of the days of the week.

(I have this vague notion of mentioning this already someplace, but if I can't recall, probably no one else could either.)

It was late morning on a tuesday in elementary school.  The Cuban Missile Crisis had just flared up, and we lived and schooled near the southern Florida Naval and Air bases, the obvious first targets.  We were just given homework assignments for the next monday, and I wondered:  "If we're getting nuked by thursday, do I have to do this homework?"

That is sooooo out of the blue, that it could start all sorts of responses....

Most of my school-day Armageddon memories like that were under Carter, Ford, and Reagan, so I may have had a different flavor. The most world-ending stuff we thought about was that movie "The Day After". So, you can imagine that most of my influences came from Viet Nam and the Middle East crises, and not the Cuban Missile one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.