Asperger's

McBeer

I have been a bit curious about Asperger syndrome for a while and am wondering what others think about it.

I have never put myself in a place where I could be diagnosed, but many of the symptoms apply to me.

(from autism-society.org)

I do not understand conventional social rules.

I do not know how to fit in and interact with most people(without being completely fake).

When I am interested in a subject it borders on obsessive.

I do not like eye contact with most people.

I have above average intelligence.

I have good language skills.

I've met a few people who were diagnosed, and they seemed better than normal to me.

I think Asperger's is just a title for rational people who stand out in an irrational world.

Any thoughts?

As an asperger myself i can only say that in my experience it has been more than jsut being rational person in irrational world-

...however this fact does significantly amplify it because as asperger i perceive intellectual topics more clearly and abstract topics i have, lets jsut say easier time getting into than understanding someones feelings.

Jokes, subtle sighs of emotions and feelings from another persona was hard to perceive then and now but it has becomes easier after gaining lot of self knowledge friends from FDR and also applying RTR in my own life along with changing the other people around me.

So i think Aspergers is very real however you can alleaviate its potentially negative side effects with rational company and practice and friends.

• Upvote 2

I know what you mean with the subtle sighs and hints people use to communicate. I tell people I don't understand their secret code, and please just say what you mean.

If something isn't important enough for you to say it clearly, then it must not be important enough for me to acknowledge.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a symptom of a rational mind coping with the irrational world we live in.  My husband has Aspergers.  He is extremely bright, but he is not logical (though he is in his 80s and what we knew about the world back then was verey different than we now know.  I love learning so I kept my knowledge up to date.  I have to keep bringing him back and walking him through logic.

I have worked with special education students for quite a few years.

Austim, and its spectrum, is very interesting and complex.

I too think I may exist on the spectrum, like you McBeer I can check many of the boxes you do. Most of the children I worked with struggled far more with everyday life than I do.

If we call it a disorder I bet we can separate them from society and put them on meds. It also, in a sense gives parents an out, "you're not a bad parent your child just has x."

Not saying disorders do not exist or medicines do not help but there is quite an incentive to make the categories as broad as possible. My older brother has cerebral palsy so I grew up around it, but it's always seemed like if he'd been treated a little more "normal" he wouldn't be nearly as bad off as he currently is.

• Upvote 2

Nothing is a "disorder" unless one cannot cope--even with corrective measures--with normal life and living. If you have a condition but you can cope with normal life, it's not a disorder. If you have a condition but you can cope with the use of therapies (including medication), it's not a disorder.

The term "disorder" get too loosely applied sometimes.

This same problem happens with the term "phobia". A phobia is a disorder. If one can deal with it, it's a fear.

All those symptoms you list describe myself most of my life.  My "condition" was being badly shunned, intimidated, predation, physical abuse, etc. etc. etc.  I never was around other humans to interact with, especially as a child.  So I never learned those things, like I never learned to speak Hungarian, I just wasn't exposed to it.  It was never a neurological defect, tho' I completely assumed that I was defective.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this post and I very much appreciate you making it. This is something I have wondered myself as well. I have all of the symptoms you listed.

I've wondered of many of the pursuits in my life as well as the types of conversations I have with people is because I fundamentally lack in these particular areas. Its also interesting because I read that people with Aspergers is very heavily populated in Silicon valley. This is a place where some of the greatest, most creative and innovate minds are doing some of the most amazing work.

It really speaks to society, in which people can't really fit in all of their lives -- until they meet other people who innovate, intelligent, philosophical individuals.

Do we know what might cause it?

Do we know what might cause it?

It might have something to do with formaldehyde, mercury (in thimerosal), aluminum phosphate, aluminum hydroxide, other aluminum, ammonium sulfate, sodium chloride, and many other compounds, being injected into infants and children regularly, or in the case of USA, more often.

Even adults are known to agree to and pay to get this injected into themselves.

I know what you mean with the subtle sighs and hints people use to communicate. I tell people I don't understand their secret code, and please just say what you mean.

If something isn't important enough for you to say it clearly, then it must not be important enough for me to acknowledge.

I think that's reasonable request for anyone. And, some people try to play it off as a weakness but actually it is a very strong and brave request that shows you are not afraid of not understanding and have the respect and curiosity to find out rather than be fake and 'go along'.  I love it when people are frank with me.   Unless I feel comfortable with someone who I know already understands my jokes and humor, I tone it down or try to turn it off with someone I am less familiar with until I grow more comfortable and familiar with them and vice versa.  I think that is just common courtesy and good human interaction to say the least.  

• 1 month later...

It might have something to do with formaldehyde, mercury (in thimerosal), aluminum phosphate, aluminum hydroxide, other aluminum, ammonium sulfate, sodium chloride, and many other compounds, being injected into infants and children regularly, or in the case of USA, more often.

My son was diagnosed Asperger's and then me, mine went unnoticed throughout school, i don't know if the screening process was good in the 80's.

I feel everything the OP posted and more, especially anxiety.

It took ages for me to grasp sarcasm as a child, i fought, played truant, and was suspended over 10 times in high school, yet i was in the top class in each subject.

As for cause, both me and my son were traumatic births, i was dead on arrival, and my wife was in labour for 3 weeks with our son. 

Now all my siblings and my sons brothers and sister had normal births and are fine.

I did hear someone was looking into the correlation, but it sure does fit our situation.

• 1 month later...

The wonders of th NHS. I know somone with Aspergers who often talks about is experience with Verious government mental health departments from the NAU, CCG PATS.  I have aspergers too but its a lot worse.  I get one N for being black, another N for being a man, other N for having aspergers, and another N' being older. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.