California Fair Pay Act may accelerate business exodus

Tough new equal pay law threatens to accelerate California’s business exodus

The California Fair Pay Act strengthens the state’s existing equal-pay law by forbidding employers from paying employees less than their opposite-sex counterparts for “substantially similar work,” not just “equal work” — a far more subjective and thus litigation-friendly standard. It also prohibits employers from retaliating against those who seek to raise their pay under the law.

. . .

The law also allows employees to challenge the fairness of their pay before the state Division of Labor Standards by drawing comparisons to “substantially similar” jobs with different titles or at other work sites.

The State parasites are once again driving up the cost of running a business which will only exacerbate unemployment.

This will create a tsunami of new lawsuits, as if employers didn't already have enough to worry about. Employers will be forced to impose a moratorium on hiring or simply relocate.

I have two views on this.

1. Other than the rape of natural resources, a currency is predominately pegged to the at the minimum hourly wage.

If the minimum wage / hour becomes $20 instead of $10 / hour and the rest of the market remains the same. The dollar will simply inflate by 100%. It will however give a temporary reprieve to low earners who reap the benefits BEFORE inflation, which is the opposite to what happens.

When one state does it this is super confusing. A cafe can be 10 yards from a labor intensive business with half the labor cost.

I'm not sure if California is really looking out for the low wage worker or simply remove the low skill labour population from their area as such businesses leave.

The supermarkets are going to stay and that way local government no longer has to pay for the Walmart heirs extravagances.

I think it's only really an option for states that do not have a big low skill factory base, but do have high property prices.

If you really want to create a living wage, you need to make minimum wage relative to average rent prices and give people the right to buy their homes from scrounging landlords after a given time so long as they pay their rent, and splitting the capital gain.

• Downvote 2

@Kaz I read your post three times and still have no idea what you are trying to say. The important aspect of this is that minimum wage laws of all kinds are incompatible with the principles of freedom of association, private property and self-ownership. The effects of such laws are invariably harmful but this is of secondary importance.

• Upvote 1

Here is a link to the bill for those curious

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/asm/ab_1351-1400/ab_1354_bill_20150910_enrolled.htm

Of interesting note:

(1) According to data from the United States Census Bureau, full-time working women, on average, over the last decade, have continued to earn just 77 cents for every dollar a man earns. The wage gap is greater for women of color, with African American women being paid an average of 64 cents for every dollar paid to white, non-Hispanic men in 2013 and Latinas being paid just 56 cents for every dollar paid to white, non-Hispanic men.

Hey! Only disproven a million times, but it pushes legislature through anyway...arghhh....*gnashes teeth* Can someone explain to me what happens when an employer hires a harder working employee for the same position as they do another, and choose to pay them more? Is that now discrimination? I'm not so good at reading bullshit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.