Problems any world(stateless or not) face.

So aside from the fact that corporations' liability shield is a fiction, the fact that business can act as they do presents a plethora of problems. To cut to the chase, misinformation, the suppression of information, and dangerous/damaging business practices make for a nasty cocktail. One of the best parts of the market is that price is a fluid and agile reflection of value. It also transmits information quite effectively.  How will a free-market world combat the likes of those who would inhibit the free transfer of information?

Computers and electronics are subjected to rigorous, thorough, and meticulous analysis and testing on hundreds of websites. There is no shortage of reviewer ratings, consumer ratings, discussion forums, and videos to find out what you want to know.

Companies often embellish and make lofty claims about their products, but when they make a mistake, it ends up on websites like Slashdot where millions of people learn about it.

I agree! But also companies are using the internet and their vast budgets to spread disinformation via forums just like this one. The weird thing is I can't foresee a way of monetizing counter-measures. 

People already know how to recognize shills from a mile away. You don't need to pay anyone to knock them down.

the fact that business can act

Careful. Businesses are not entities capable of behavior. If a behavior is truly problematic, it is important to hold the PEOPLE engaging them responsible.

But also companies are using the internet and their vast budgets to spread disinformation via forums just like this one.

It's called the power of the network. Pick any single product in the world. There are way fewer people that would want you to buy that specific product in spite of logic, reason, or evidence than there are people who don't want to be misled.

For an example of what I mean, look at computer viruses. Once upon a time, you had to pay Symantec money if you wanted protection. Not a bad thing since it takes time and effort to write the software and keep it up to date. But look at our options today. A LOT of options, including a lot of free/donate ones. This is because there are WAY more people that want a clean computer than want to make use of your computer without your consent.

In order to spoof Bitcoin, you'd need access to at least 51% of the world's computing power AND to have a passable block chain multiple times in a row. The list goes on. One of the things statist types often try to misrepresent is that the State protects us from stuff. Sometimes people get prosecuted for intervening and/or protecting stuff instead of calling the police. In a free society, in order to violate property rights, it's literally you against EVERYBODY else. It's one of the explanations for areas with "legal" concealed carry of firearms having lower crime rates. You literally can no longer tell by uniform or car marking who has the power to stop you.

Careful. Businesses are not entities capable of behavior. If a behavior is truly problematic, it is important to hold the PEOPLE engaging them responsible.

It's called the power of the network. Pick any single product in the world. There are way fewer people that would want you to buy that specific product in spite of logic, reason, or evidence than there are people who don't want to be misled.

For an example of what I mean, look at computer viruses. Once upon a time, you had to pay Symantec money if you wanted protection. Not a bad thing since it takes time and effort to write the software and keep it up to date. But look at our options today. A LOT of options, including a lot of free/donate ones. This is because there are WAY more people that want a clean computer than want to make use of your computer without your consent.

In order to spoof Bitcoin, you'd need access to at least 51% of the world's computing power AND to have a passable block chain multiple times in a row. The list goes on. One of the things statist types often try to misrepresent is that the State protects us from stuff. Sometimes people get prosecuted for intervening and/or protecting stuff instead of calling the police. In a free society, in order to violate property rights, it's literally you against EVERYBODY else. It's one of the explanations for areas with "legal" concealed carry of firearms having lower crime rates. You literally can no longer tell by uniform or car marking who has the power to stop you.

I agree, but I do worry about it none-the-less. I wonder if the laws passed against making films of atrocities committed at factory farms, would instead be enforced by injunction in a stateless societies courts, or through some other means.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.