Do you like tattoos?

AccuTron

I noticed a medium sized tattoo on the small of a woman's back recently, and my reaction was about how was it going to age, vague other notions.  I think those Maori full body tattoos are amazing, and have seen large amounts of high quality body art here and there, great for that person.  In general, however, I wonder about women who put a small thing on an ankle or neck or whatever.  Is that going to be an annoying regret later, like a grease smudge that won't wash out?  (Has anyone ever done a tattoo that mimics a grease smudge?)

I have tattoos. I've never understood the regret question since what a person's skin looks like mostly doesn't matter.

I think a tattoo is likely an indication of trauma. At the very least, it's prioritizing working on outer self over working on inner self. In fact, if I had any regret, this would likely be it. Maybe I meet somebody of quality and they see tattoos and write me off as traumatized even though the trauma has since been processed. For this reason, I try not to write off others even though I'd wager this is the exception rather that the rule.

I am ambivalent, though not out of bias. In the end, it is a person's body they're doing it to, so it's not really up to me. I'm even a bit of a hypocrite since I do increasingly judge the use of makeup. Though to be fair, that is an ongoing process and more about presenting yourself as something you're not and/or drawing attention to (parts of) yourself. *shrug*

• Upvote 2

To me the question arises: Is it really important if I like tattoos or not?

Anyone is the owner of his/her own body (that includes skin) so it's up to that person to make a choice for a tattoo (or more) or not and like it or not. In case I would be disgusted by someones tattoo, it is still my choice. I can look away if I don't like it.

Generalising "liking tattoos" doesn't seem fair to me. There are too many different (tattooed) people and too many different tattoos to generalise all of them at once.

Like you say those Maori bodies are cool. Also some personal tattoos I like. It all depends on the person and if it fits him/her.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Personally I've never understood tattoos it always seemed like a waste of money especially when they're in a place where you can't even see them. I've always seen it as paying all this money for some really great art that only other people can see, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a painting? A lot of them are done as a rebellion or whatever but aren't there better ways to rebel (I dunno become an anarchist :D)? The only other answer I've ever gotten was "I just like them." That's great but it seems to me like there's a lot more other way more enjoyable things you could spend less money on.

*Side note: coming from a 20-something guy I'm sure this is blasphemy but just my 2-cents  :thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

I consider all body modifications off-putting, but if someone feels the need to superficially differentiate themselves or conform to a particular group then I won't stop them. I may still question their motives and make sure they understand the long-term consequences though.

Just like Lars here, I do not enjoy body mods, at all. In fact, I see it as a hint for not wanting to persue a person with one. It can be associated with low confidence, and I've heard, long ago, but never really looked into it, that people who modify the body are more likely to have emotional disburbances. And just one of those things, that they would worry about their appearance over their wisdom and virtue.

I have three tattoos. I don't regret them at all. I sometimes wonder if I ever will, but these tattoos all have meaning to me. They are associated with parts of my life that make me who I am, so it seems to follow that it should be part of me physically. 

At first glance, barely anyone knows where the tat on my bicep is from, they just see a kind of dark evilish tat that looks kinda cool. So far two people have recognized where it was from, and we got into some great conversation, talked about fun memories and good times. I never would have met those guys if not for my tat.

My other two tats are simply quotes that resonated with me. Philosophical quotes. A lot of people read them and don't give them a second thought. A girl that did actually give them a second thought, just might be a keeper.

Tattoos and piercings are minor forms of body mutilation. I believe they psychologically represent someone being owned by another, or belonging to a group they can't leave. Think: branding and nose piercing in cattle. This is how tattos and piercings have been used historically by indigenous tribes.

Someone can have a tattoo or a piercing and be emotionally healthy, but in general, if they willfully got these at one point, I think it means they weren't, at that point.

In the health sense, piercings obviously damage the skin and tissues somewhat, and tattoos often have toxic chemicals and/or heavy metals in the ink that will last for a lifetime. Obviously the heavier the dose, the worse the potential damage is.

All in all, no, I don't find them attractive. And I'm more likely to be attracted to a woman who doesn't have them. Although nowadays, that is very rare. Most women have some, even if it's a tiny thing. Fewer men have them, and when they do, they tend to go all-out. I don't really care either way if a friend has them, as long as they're emotionally healthy, or close enough to that. I give credit to people who realize they made a mistake when getting a tattoo or a piercing. In general I may try to stay away from people who are enthusiasts about it, no matter how many they may or may not have at that point, but it's not a huge deal. Someone could be a tattoo or piercing enthusiast and still be an emotionally healthy and good person with interesting things to say and share. I haven't met anybody like that, but I'm not discounting that possibility.

• Upvote 1

In general I may try to stay away from people who are enthusiasts about it, no matter how many they may or may not have at that point, but it's not a huge deal.

Great post overall. I just wanted to add something that some people might not be aware of. I can't say for sure with piercings, but a tattoo is essentially a voluntary wound, potentially of considerable proportion. The brain treats it as such and there are endorphins released to compensate for the injury. This is why some people, after getting a single tattoo, may be eager to have more. It's no different from say drugs and alcohol, though the chemicals are natural/internal.

I ended up with 7. I enjoyed the warmth of the wound along with the red glow of flesh around the injury site that one of my tattoos, I actually had the artist use ink to make this appearance seem fresh:

m995ofC.png

The Kanji says victim. To give an idea of the dysfunction behind the decision, I WANTED to be branded a victim by a succubus as an acknowledgement of my victim status at the hands of women and my belief that this was an inescapable fate I lived in. Considering how far this predated self-knowledge, I was remarkably close! (artwork is not mine; I only added the Kanji and everything that appears red)

• Upvote 2

I have been thinking about the self reflection of your tattoo a lot dsayers, it's a very astute observation, and a good looking tat to boot. I was wondering if you would share your insight on my tattoos. 

I have this on my arm:

classes-shadowknight-icon.png?v=39307249

A symbol from a video game I have played since 99, Everquest.

On my back is a quote that says "what is a man but the sum of his memories" (from another video game) and on my left breast, over my heart, is a quote from a song that says "I dreamt the world with my eyes open".

When I was younger my parents influenced me to think of tattoos as a sign of bad people, and I thought the same way. As I grew up I did not agree with many of my parents views, and actually grew to like tattoos. I never thought of them as signs of dysfunction. More like, my body is an object of my property, and I can choose to decorate it as I wish. Like putting a bumper sticker on my car. 

More lately I have been discovering more of my own dysfunction , and now think tattoos just may be a symptom of it, though I can't perceive why. If you had any insight to share about it I would appreciate it.

More lately I have been discovering more of my own dysfunction , and now think tattoos just may be a symptom of it, though I can't perceive why. If you had any insight to share about it I would appreciate it.

When I started getting tattoos, I very consciously and literally wanted it to be that when I died, my body would tell the story of my life. In other words, a voice that couldn't be ignored since I felt my actual voice was ignored. When an abused child "acts out," they're communicating that this is their experience. Even if "this" only refers to the way people will not treat them like a person even though they are experiencing life as a person. Acting out is a way of incentivizing people to acknowledge you.

Another aspect is societal norms. For example, it's largely acceptable for people to use makeup or nice clothes to alter your perception of this. This isn't inherently sinister, since it can be as simple as accepting that there are other people, and trying not to disturb them with your presence. Like keeping your voice down in a crowd as able. If everybody dressed in t-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes, we might say that dressing up in a nice suit was the sign of dysfunction.

When I started getting tattoos, I very consciously and literally wanted it to be that when I died, my body would tell the story of my life.

Cool.

Another aspect is societal norms.... we might say that dressing up in a nice suit was the sign of dysfunction.

Outstanding comparison.

Until dsayers mentioned it, I had not made the connection--thank you.

My mother did not protect me when she should have. In tattooing, dragons are protectors. I have a dragon on each shoulder; two on my back; one on my chest. I was looking to top off at nine (a literary reference) but was unable to finish the project and probably won't.

• 1 month later...

When I started getting tattoos, I very consciously and literally wanted it to be that when I died, my body would tell the story of my life. In other words, a voice that couldn't be ignored since I felt my actual voice was ignored. When an abused child "acts out," they're communicating that this is their experience. Even if "this" only refers to the way people will not treat them like a person even though they are experiencing life as a person. Acting out is a way of incentivizing people to acknowledge you.

Another aspect is societal norms. For example, it's largely acceptable for people to use makeup or nice clothes to alter your perception of this. This isn't inherently sinister, since it can be as simple as accepting that there are other people, and trying not to disturb them with your presence. Like keeping your voice down in a crowd as able. If everybody dressed in t-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes, we might say that dressing up in a nice suit was the sign of dysfunction.

I wonder if one can accomplish spreading ones message like that. If people ignore your voice, can't they just as easy ignore what they see? after all, "There's no worse blind person than those who refuse to see" or along those lines the saying goes.

Your analogy with clothing is interesting but there are differences. Clothes are not permanent, and they don't hurt the body. A better comparison would be temporary tattoos. or stickers. How many people would mark their bodies temporarily? I would say a lot more than those who get tattoos. fashions change, and so do tastes in closing.

Even if we remove the deliberate damage to the body. say we had permanent ink that we could spray on the body and get a permanent tattoo. I would think about it twice. It seems like a permanent tattoo is an attempt to freeze in time some concept that we hold, but life is ever hanging, we are ever changing. I feel I will not be the person that got that tattoo in the future and it will not hold the same meaning.

I have drawn or marked by body before, but when that ink wears off, so those that aspect of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who like to peer into the future, as Asimov attempted to do, I think it is fun to imagine what people will do when they can change every aspect of their bodies, using technology to achieve fully reversible results. I am sure we will never have everyone looking close to some idealised human form: as soon as anyone can have the looks we idealise now, many people will go for differentiation. I expect many people will have pictures on their skin, for that extra differentiation.

With apologies: my style of living in the present includes much dreaming of futures I want to reach, by just holding onto life that much longer.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether this says more about me or them but the immediate response tattoos and piercings induce in me is to interpret them as mildly aggressive. It's as though they are saying "look at me, I'm prepared to self-harm so just imagine what I might do to YOU !".

BTW some really thoughtful and interesting replies above. I doubt that would happen on any other forum on the entire Internet!

I had this notion of getting a tattoo when I was a teenager, something like what I saw an attractive woman pop star wearing, but I got over it.

Some tattoos are interesting or pretty but always in an "other person's thing" kind of way, like how some furnishings are good in "other people's houses".

Tattoos are a turn-off for me, romantically.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have 2 types of reactions to people with tattoos. 

In general, whenever I think of tattoo, I judge the person as traumatized, damaged, misguided, or trying to prove something. I look down on them in a way I don't know how to put into words. I feel it shows a sign of masochism and destruction of the true self.

However, when I see a very large, intricate, beautiful tattoo, I get a feeling of wonder and respect. It transforms in my mind into an artistic expression and indicator of strength. I now look up to them for having much more tattoo.

I'm curious to know why I have different reactions to something I consider awful, suddenly becoming wonderful when there is a lot of it. I feel there's a deep meaning behind the reactions, something to do with messages, labels, conformity, half-assing, full-assing, will to fight through self-inflicted pain, etc.

I feel it shows a sign of masochism and destruction of the true self.

To be fair, the true self is internal. What gets tattooed is just the body of the person.

As for your ambivalence, where did these conclusions come from? Was one inflicted upon your or from societal influence? Not that experiencing ambivalence is problematic in and of itself. Though I do appreciate your desire to understand it in yourself.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.