R vs. K in Canadian Election

I know nobody cares about Canadian politics, but here is an interesting piece of statistics that resonated with me. According to CBC (Canadian government TV station), “The Conservatives appealed to ridings in which the proportion of married or common-law couples was highest. By comparison, the Liberals and the NDP largely dominated in ridings where the marriage rate hovered below 50 per cent.”  In Canada, Conservative (blue) tends to be, well, conservative, Liberal (red) – liberal, and NDP (orange) – even further left-wing.

So, to me, this appears to be a clear R vs. K battle (married people lean conservative and non - liberal), presented in a very beautiful chart. 

RK.png

• Upvote 2

Not only don't I see herpes anywhere, unless color coded behavior patterns...but I can't figure out what the chart even is.  Where are the labels?  All I see is a bold upholstery fabric pattern with a darker area near top to hide neck and hair grime.

(I'm not deeply aware of Canadian politics by a long shot, but had specifically wondered this morning about what the elections results might mean.  Please keep the info coming.)

Not only don't I see herpes anywhere, unless color coded behavior patterns...but I can't figure out what the chart even is.  Where are the labels?  All I see is a bold upholstery fabric pattern with a darker area near top to hide neck and hair grime.

(I'm not deeply aware of Canadian politics by a long shot, but had specifically wondered this morning about what the elections results might mean.  Please keep the info coming.)

Yes, the absence of the labels is unfortunate. The data is per riding (electoral district), each bar represents a riding. The length of the bars is % of households that are married or common-law in that riding. The colour represents the party that carried that riding in this election: blue – Conservative, red – Liberal, orange – NDP.

It is not very clear, what this election means. The new Liberal prime minister is young inexperienced son of a former prime minister, so he will do anything to prove that he can fill his dad’s shoes. Furthermore, they replaced a Conservative government, which, for better or worse, kept the economy in check. Liberals also gained a majority in parliament, which means they pretty much push any legislation right through. Also, he promised to legalize marijuana “right away.” So, there is that…

I heard Stefan mention that he was doing something on Canadian politics.  Could anyone (Mike) give me an update on this? 

Good idea. Will do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.