[H&W] Dr. Patrick Interviews The Iceman, Wim Hof - Immunology

J. D. Stembal

Hi J.D

I'm listening now. I watched his vice documentary and joe rogan podcast yesterday. I'm trying some of the breathing exercises and find them good so far. I think this stuff has huge value. It can really change your state. The fact

that he's using science and getting results is great. The trauma from his wife's suicide has had a huge impact. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you get time to watch it.  

• Upvote 2

Based on that interview, I don't think Wim Hof is very credible. He uses scientific buzz-words to obscure rank mysticism. I'm all for unleashing one's potential, just not by hyperventilating and freezing yourself to death.

I wonder what James Randi has to say about him.

Based on that interview, I don't think Wim Hof is very credible. He uses scientific buzz-words to obscure rank mysticism. I'm all for unleashing one's potential, just not by hyperventilating and freezing yourself to death.

I wonder what James Randi has to say about him.

But he doesn't freeze to death. That's kind of the linchpin to his credibility, there's tons of videos of him performing these feats live and I'm sure if you looked into the research he mentioned you would find the data to back up the claims.

• Upvote 1

But he doesn't freeze to death. That's kind of the linchpin to his credibility, there's tons of videos of him performing these feats live and I'm sure if you looked into the research he mentioned you would find the data to back up the claims.

It's not like scientists haven't been fooled before. I will look into it further, though remain incredibly skeptical.

Really enjoyed the OP video.  The guy is spot on to what I've experienced, and I learned a lot more.  I've learned that physical pain (skin injury at least) can be willed away, or at least kept at bay a good while.  I've learned that I can ignore the urge to get air when swimming underwater (in a pool).  I've been spoiled of late but recall earlier years in less well heated rural dwellings, that along with physical movement, kept me feeling primed.  I've been somewhat conservative with winter heating, but may knock it down even more this year.

Hi J.D

I'm listening now. I watched his vice documentary and joe rogan podcast yesterday. I'm trying some of the breathing exercises and find them good so far. I think this stuff has huge value. It can really change your state. The fact

that he's using science and getting results is great. The trauma from his wife's suicide has had a huge impact. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you get time to watch it.  

This is amazing evidence for natural therapies for disease. We need to get this idea that modern medicine always has the answer off the table.

I hosted a man who was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at 13, and has spent the last ten years on immunosurpressants. His disease is in remission, but he is now making the choice to fix his nutrition by eating more fermented foods and cutting out the processed garbage food, and reducing his dosage against his gastroenterologist's advice. This man is so brave and I am cheering for him.

I hope that he will watch this video and consider using heat or cold shock therapy. It has already done wonders for my body and mind!

If something bizarre is in fact going on, I'm far more inclined to consider him a unique case rather than someone we should all emulate.

In research done by Radboud University (The Netherlands) Wim Hof trained a group of 12 volunteers to prove the immune system can be modulated.[14][15] He had already proven in 2011 the ability to control his own immune system. [16] [17]

There was a control group of 12 other people who did not practice his method before the experiment. They were injected with endotoxins which would produce flu like symptoms in a normal person.

From watching the documentary about him, you can see he is pretty confident that he isnt a special case and that he can teach what he practices.

My biggest beef with Wim Hof is that he claims his method can cure all diseases(hopefully there will be more studies in the future on this)

In fact there is another person who crushed some of Wims world records and he has his own breathing/focusing techniques.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stig_Severinsen

Personally im 3 days in on taking only cold showers and im loving it. There seems to be a learning curve to this whole breathing thing but hopefully with consistent practice ill see some objective results. Would really come in handy here in Canada land where it gets -30C in a few months.

Another interesting interview with Wim Hof on Tim Ferriss's podcast

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/09/07/the-iceman-wim-hof/

It popped up on my YT feed today.

In addition to breathing and cold shock therapy, Wim has been practicing intermittent fasting for the past 35 years. I find this very inspiring as I've been doing IR on and off for the past few years, and I credit it for much of my fat loss.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.