simultaneousness

I've argued in the past that joint ownership is mythic. Like if somebody dies and leaves their car to their son and daughter, they can't dispose of that property simultaneously. If two people were looking to go into buying a car together, they would literally have to conceive of every possible contingency (impossible) and plan for it in order to accurately both own the same thing at the same time. In other words, you'd need some agreed upon method for conflict resolution for it to even be attainable. However, since property is derived from self-ownership, it's pretty clear that two people cannot own the same thing at the same time.

Homesteading is a physical process that takes some amount of time. Two people cannot homestead something at the same time because homesteading requires exclusive control.

I think it is also important to understand that we only truly homestead physical things. if a business is founded and there are partners, or a house is equally shared by two investors, we have ways of exchanging and distributing physical goods, including fancy paper at the moment, to represent the disparity in ownership only over physical things.

But ownership is exclusive - that is the whole point. if it didn't have to be and we could all use all the same things at the exact same times in the exact same ways for whatever portions of time we wanted, scarcity would not exist. property is fundamentally the recognition of the physical laws of reality, and it is important to emphasize that consistent conceptions of property do not make exceptions for the constant, unchanging laws of physical reality, for the sake of "blue costumes" or "patriotism" etc 

oh btw, since I didn't notice the OP was referring to homesteading "objects" - is that even possible? You could only ever possibly homestead land, which is transformed into physical objects i.e. ripping a branch off a tree to make a bow. then after the physical objects can be exchanged voluntarily, but that wouldn't be called homesteading 

Homesteading is a physical process that takes some amount of time. Two people cannot homestead something at the same time because homesteading requires exclusive control.

I think it is also important to understand that we only truly homestead physical things. if a business is founded and there are partners, or a house is equally shared by two investors, we have ways of exchanging and distributing physical goods, including fancy paper at the moment, to represent the disparity in ownership only over physical things.

But ownership is exclusive - that is the whole point. if it didn't have to be and we could all use all the same things at the exact same times in the exact same ways for whatever portions of time we wanted, scarcity would not exist. property is fundamentally the recognition of the physical laws of reality, and it is important to emphasize that consistent conceptions of property do not make exceptions for the constant, unchanging laws of physical reality, for the sake of "blue costumes" or "patriotism" etc 

oh btw, since I didn't notice the OP was referring to homesteading "objects" - is that even possible? You could only ever possibly homestead land, which is transformed into physical objects i.e. ripping a branch off a tree to make a bow. then after the physical objects can be exchanged voluntarily, but that wouldn't be called homesteading 

Can you explain why you can only homestead physical things?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.