Strange thing to do, help

Guest Mags

I did have something completely different here but I've changed my mind. Now the title no longer is appropriate. 

What do you guys know about exercise and anxiety? Have any of you experimented? I've found that the root of my anxiety comes down to me not exercising enough. It sounds too simple I know. But if I don't exercise I find something to worry about; of which there is always something. That used to spiral out of control and I'de think that whatever I was anxious about was the cause, and warranted despair. So every time I begin getting into a worried state or a down mood, I just do some exercise and without fail all is fine. Until the next couple of days. 

Thought this may be of use to anyone struggling. I know studies have found that exercise is just as effective as drugs at fighting depression. Mindfulness and meditation have almost cured it for me, the more skilled I get the more it is not a problem. That coupled with exercise and my life is hunky-dory. 

• Upvote 1

Exercise...reasonable and not overboard...is always good, especially if it gets your lungs really cleared out.  If the lungs haven't been cleared fully from the furthest spaces, then ya' h'ain't been really exercising.  

So yes, flat out, exercise makes us better.  It doesn't remove any real problems though.  If you keep getting these many irritants coming back, maybe there's a less recognized underlying issue that's stirring things up.  The many life irritants are real, and like a flock of mosquitos in summer, not just imagination.  You might have it correctly at face value.  But it might be worth some mental inquiry.

Exercise...reasonable and not overboard...is always good, especially if it gets your lungs really cleared out.  If the lungs haven't been cleared fully from the furthest spaces, then ya' h'ain't been really exercising.  

Yeah, the more your lungs work it's a safe bet the exercise is more challenging, and beneficial; assuming one doesn't go overboard. Breathing is something I believe is underrated with exercise and in general potentially. I'm learning Systema and breathing is an integral part of the skills. It sounds kind of whoo because there's no good science explanation whenever people tell you to do it lol, but there is definitely 'something to it'. My theories are as follows: when one is concentrating on breath it's similar to a meditative & relaxation activity, it stops a person from over-thinking. The mussels need oxygen, so breathing right is essential to maintain stamina. Wim Hof is an interesting guy, I wont detail it but he's done some fascinating and revolutionary stuff using breathing techniques that one may be interested in. 

So yes, flat out, exercise makes us better.  It doesn't remove any real problems though.  If you keep getting these many irritants coming back, maybe there's a less recognized underlying issue that's stirring things up.  The many life irritants are real, and like a flock of mosquitos in summer, not just imagination. You might have it correctly at face value.  But it might be worth some mental inquiry.

That's a good point. Though I would argue that many irritants are actually 'imaginary' in that they do not warrant worrying. We agree anyway, it's important to decipher if a problem is real or not... and requires action or not. With external things it is more likely to be real. It's when thoughts dealing with the self come up where it's a lot more nebulous. One's perception/attitude about it can basically change it too. For example I used be 'socially anxious', well 1) labelling myself that was not a good thing, it made me think I had this mysterious burdensome condition, which I needed to overcome, rather than the way I see it now, which is 2) Most people are fucking boring, excuse the french. I didn't like talking to them because that is what it boiled down to. When I find someone interesting I do perfectly adequate in carrying a conversation and my nerves quickly go done; because I'm actually engaged by what they are saying. Unlike with regular people and their endless small-talk, and the same god-damned questions, and the trivial stories/opinions about their life. Now I don't experience 'social anxiety', I just get bored when forced to converse with these people. Plus I except it when people think I'm strange. I would go on, but I need to go some stuff haha. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.