Anti-statism in superhero movies.

It seems the latest Marvel movie is dealing with issues around the moral legitimacy of government. This was also to a certain degree a subject of the previous Captain America movie "The winter soldier" and it appears to be in the upcoming Batman/Superman movie. But in Civil War, Captain America questions the government's legal right to put limits on him altogether. This would technically make him an anarchist. It might be a good idea to use this movie to illustrate anarchist concepts to people. It could help open a few more minds. Might as well use these silly movies for something other than entertainment.  

I've seen a number of examples in pop culture in more recent times (last decade give or take) when the police/politicians/government are portrayed as unreliable, inefficient, and undependable. Stef talked about it once. In fact, I got turned on to the show Psych at his recommendation. It's about a guy who's very observant. He sees some news footage on TV and notices things police didn't. So he calls them up to offer them tips on who's responsible. After a string of such events, they assume he's the responsible party to be able to know so much so accurately. In order to attempt to avoid prosecution, he pretends he's psychic and THAT is how he's able to do what he does. Suddenly, they're willing to enlist his help to help solve cases they cannot on their own.

The show's quite entertaining. It's just one example though. Ever since Stef pointed it out, I've kept my eyes peeled and there's no shortage of it. Or sometimes they're portrayed as behaving as if they have moral immunity and do it with such over the top-ness, that it's ridiculous and obvious.

• Upvote 1

The quote commonly attributed to Picasso about lies to tell the truth seems apt with this one.  ;)

It is also rather salient that the embodiment of traditional American values (Captain America) is at odds with the government and its military industrial complex (Iron Man?). In viewing these characters as symbols to an allegory (similarly with other films), one can spread the message.

• Upvote 1

It seems the latest Marvel movie is dealing with issues around the moral legitimacy of government. This was also to a certain degree a subject of the previous Captain America movie "The winter soldier" and it appears to be in the upcoming Batman/Superman movie. But in Civil War, Captain America questions the government's legal right to put limits on him altogether. This would technically make him an anarchist. It might be a good idea to use this movie to illustrate anarchist concepts to people. It could help open a few more minds. Might as well use these silly movies for something other than entertainment.  

Cap is doing it to protect Bucky. It's right in the phrase "You know I wouldn't do this if I had any other choice, but he's my friend". Which makes it more of a personal rebellion, not a statement of government policy. He doesn't renounce to the symbols of patriotism either. Other than that, the idea of rejecting limits altogether is very anarchist indeed. However, after what happened in Avengers 2 I can't blame Tony for wanting a leash on his neck since his actions lead to the near destruction of the world. He doesn't trust himself with himself anymore, and since he didn't trust others very much to begin with, it follows he would begin to put limits on everyone around him.

Captain America has always been one of my favorite superheroes. All his sentences are either a piece of philosophy or a great one-liner.

My favorite line of Cap's is one that reminds me of Stefan's view that went something like "you stand beside the truth, refuse to move and let the world gravitate around YOU"

tumblr_nqyseu7uAY1r6e8nmo1_1280.jpg

Cap is doing it to protect Bucky. It's right in the phrase "You know I wouldn't do this if I had any other choice, but he's my friend". Which makes it more of a personal rebellion, not a statement of government policy. He doesn't renounce to the symbols of patriotism either. Other than that, the idea of rejecting limits altogether is very anarchist indeed. However, after what happened in Avengers 2 I can't blame Tony for wanting a leash on his neck since his actions lead to the near destruction of the world. He doesn't trust himself with himself anymore, and since he didn't trust others very much to begin with, it follows he would begin to put limits on everyone around him.

You're right. Though all it would take is for cap to universalize his position on Bucky and he'd be an anarchist. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.