Content Box Curated by Stefan Molyneux

Matt D

I just heard about from James Altucher's podcast a curating service called Quarterly, and I realized immediately that I would love to subscribe to a box of content (books, memorabilia, Queen cds, etc...) which was hand-curated by Stef.

You may be wondering how this can actually make someone money. Tim Ferris, bestselling author and podcaster, brings in six figure income every year just from his subscriber boxes alone. You don't have to advertise or promote anything you don't already recommend and you can focus on sending valuable and informative physical content directly to your subscribers. 

I believe this would be a perfect add for Freedomain Radio to excite and grow its fanbase. They could even integrate it with the current donation system. For instance, imagine if when you listened to Stef interview Alex Epstein you knew you'd be receiving his book The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels in the mail within a month and inside that book would be annotations/inserts/downloadable mp3s written by Stef. How much cooler would that make listening and supporting the show!?!

I'm sold; how about you? Would you sign up for a curated Stefan Molyneux box? If so, please appreciate this post or reply below! If there's enough interest, I bet the team here will be hard-pressed to turn down the idea. 

• Upvote 4

Can you tell me more about what might come in this box that is not already far surpassed in value from the shows, podcasts, and call-ins? 

It would be a big drop in value to go from world and life-changing philosophies, to Queen CDs and memorabilia. 

If you give a book with annotations or an MP3, how is this comparable to the content in the way it is delivered (comprehensive, rehearsed, communicated entertainingly) already? The MP3 could already be delivered online, and I don't care much for annotations when I am getting far more comprehensive intellectual content already from the show.

I want to hear more, but my critical brain is skeptical of the idea that curated content boxes would be interesting, since I feel like I would be buying into Stefan and his personal interests, rather than Philosophy, which to me is use of money which is antithetical to the idea that philosophy is not about a personality, or memorabilia, or personal tastes in music, but about changing the moral structure of the world.

But if the boxes could provide specialized intellectual value somehow... That would prick my interest

These box services are seeming to become more and more commonplace. Generally, I think they're fiscally irresponsible. I don't have so much wealth that I can part with some of it for something I'm not even sure what it's going to be. Full disclosure: My mother was a material girl and one of the first things I did once I was off on my own was build up this shrine to a music group. When I went to move, I sat down and actually looked at what I had invested in. It was mostly garbage, totaling about $2,000. All I really had to show for any of it was one concert I had attended. It was a costly lesson in terms of branding alone.

This particular service seems worse than most of the ones I've seen because all it has to offer you is random stuff that somebody else likes. Personally, I get a little sick every time I hear about a celebrity who has started a clothing line or a new fragrance.

I've listened to a LOT of Stef's work. I remember earlier on, he cautioned people not to praise him, but rather to focus on the ideas that he talked about. As I understand it, the motivation behind his Truth About (person X) series was to reveal the danger in regarding people as heroes. I regard Stef pretty highly because he's rational, consistent, has honest conversations despite mob pushback, etc. As such, when he recommends materials, I hold it in higher regard in terms of what I think I'd want to spend my time/money on. All that said, I cannot imagine parting with my cash for random stuff just because he likes it.

And while I can't speak for him, his track record suggests that he wouldn't want people to either. Use that money to escape your abusers, get to therapy, or if you've done these things, donate to the show to propel THE MESSAGE forward rather than just his name.

• Upvote 3

These box services are seeming to become more and more commonplace. Generally, I think they're fiscally irresponsible. I don't have so much wealth that I can part with some of it for something I'm not even sure what it's going to be. Full disclosure: My mother was a material girl and one of the first things I did once I was off on my own was build up this shrine to a music group. When I went to move, I sat down and actually looked at what I had invested in. It was mostly garbage, totaling about $2,000. All I really had to show for any of it was one concert I had attended. It was a costly lesson in terms of branding alone.

This particular service seems worse than most of the ones I've seen because all it has to offer you is random stuff that somebody else likes. Personally, I get a little sick every time I hear about a celebrity who has started a clothing line or a new fragrance.

I've listened to a LOT of Stef's work. I remember earlier on, he cautioned people not to praise him, but rather to focus on the ideas that he talked about. As I understand it, the motivation behind his Truth About (person X) series was to reveal the danger in regarding people as heroes. I regard Stef pretty highly because he's rational, consistent, has honest conversations despite mob pushback, etc. As such, when he recommends materials, I hold it in higher regard in terms of what I think I'd want to spend my time/money on. All that said, I cannot imagine parting with my cash for random stuff just because he likes it.

And while I can't speak for him, his track record suggests that he wouldn't want people to either. Use that money to escape your abusers, get to therapy, or if you've done these things, donate to the show to propel THE MESSAGE forward rather than just his name.

What if it's FDR brand related rather than Stef related?

An idea of what might be in the box is for example books written by the people Stefan interviews; and they could be sent a month in advance of the interview so as to give ample time for listener preparation.

There are also several craftsmen and artists in the community and they could make FDR related paraphernalia. They could add their own creations to the package, it would be a form of donation to FDR and a way of marketing themselves.

• Upvote 1

Can you tell me more about what might come in this box that is not already far surpassed in value from the shows, podcasts, and call-ins? 

It would be a big drop in value to go from world and life-changing philosophies, to Queen CDs and memorabilia. 

If you give a book with annotations or an MP3, how is this comparable to the content in the way it is delivered (comprehensive, rehearsed, communicated entertainingly) already? The MP3 could already be delivered online, and I don't care much for annotations when I am getting far more comprehensive intellectual content already from the show.

I want to hear more, but my critical brain is skeptical of the idea that curated content boxes would be interesting, since I feel like I would be buying into Stefan and his personal interests, rather than Philosophy, which to me is use of money which is antithetical to the idea that philosophy is not about a personality, or memorabilia, or personal tastes in music, but about changing the moral structure of the world.

But if the boxes could provide specialized intellectual value somehow... That would prick my interest

I wrote Queen cds partly as a joke.

People always ask us, "But what would stop DROs from turning into a government?" And we have to say, "I don't know; what safety measures would satisfy you as a potential customer in order to buy into a DRO? That's what the market would provide." I'm not saying your concern isn't valid. I too wouldn't want to feel like I'm buying into Stef rather than philosophy. But if you put the right content in the box that won't be the case.

I can think of plenty of philosophical material that would be enhanced through physical products. Posters with inspiring quotes, annotated books, hand-written notes from call-in shows. Personally, there are many times when I'd prefer to read a printed version of transcripts or audiobooks, but it's too much of a hassle to do myself. Also, just because something is personal does not mean it lacks substance. In fact, I think it's more valuable because you can connect more with the emotions behind an argument when you have something tangible the author made in front you.

I agree that subscription boxes can be a total waste of money because the person might send you stuff you really don't want. But I think you're missing something, dsayers, which is the surprise and delight of anticipating what that person will send next. If you trust the judgment of that person then you know they aren't going to send you junk. I doubt Stef is someone who collects worthless trendy things that aren't intellectually stimulating. If I were to buy a box I know it would be good because I know we generally share the same values. Trusting the recommendations of a public figure like Stef is not the same as praising him.

I don't think there's anything wrong with offering perks for donations. People like to be rewarded for their support of helping a cause--that's the whole reason things like Kickstarter work.

The last thing I'll say is this. I don't know how feasible this would be, but hear me out. Imagine you open a box and you received a hand-written thank you note from a little boy of about five or six whose parents had stopped hitting him because of listening to this show. Imagine it was an original; that nobody else had one exactly like it and you could frame it and put it on your wall in order to spark conversations with guests that went beyond "how 'bout them Mets". Are you telling me that wouldn't be worth fifty bucks every three months or so?

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.