Should I be happy that my peers at school hate me?

Inner Horizon

I'm still going through high school at the moment and through out my years I've always been irritated by the fact that nobody took me seriously when I tried to have meaningful conversations with others of similar age. During my junior years everyone knew that I was different but they didn't really pay much mind to my presence but now that the propaganda machine has finally set into everyone else's psyche, my challenges to their belief systems have become fairly obvious to them.

I now view other's perception of me like this: Insults from the irrational = Compliments from the rational.

I wanted to know if it's for the best that I'm now a threat to my grade's deluded bubble of comfort or if I should try to go about the rest of my school days avoiding any potential instances that could draw attention to myself?

If saying "taxation is theft" would get you killed, then not saying it is more important in the moment. You need to get yourself to tomorrow first and foremost. Obviously this is hyperbole, but there is a continuum.

Sober people don't go into a bar to preach sobriety. I don't think a government school is a place that will be receptive to rational thought. It depends on what messages you're communicating and how. If you overhear somebody saying that the rich are evil, pointing out to them that the only reason they have a cellphone in their pocket is because the rich bought them first, driving down the price of the technology isn't likely going to get you anywhere. Now if instead you were to overhear somebody say something like "I wonder why it's so fashionable to hate the rich," then you know you could have a nice conversation with somebody who is curious.

But if you're in a place where you'd be a social pariah for asking such a question, then chances are even if you found somebody who identified or was curious about the truth, they might not pursue it openly for comfort's sake.

If you haven't already, check out Stef's recent video:

The short takeaway is that the people around you are NOT your tribe. Your tribe isn't going to be marked off based on proximity. You have to find your tribe. If you can find some tribesmen in your school, great. If not, I wouldn't waste any time or effort on them. Get yourself to tomorrow and you'll have more time to find your tribe. Does this help at all?

• Upvote 2

I'm still going through high school at the moment and through out my years I've always been irritated by the fact that nobody took me seriously when I tried to have meaningful conversations with others of similar age. During my junior years everyone knew that I was different but they didn't really pay much mind to my presence but now that the propaganda machine has finally set into everyone else's psyche, my challenges to their belief systems have become fairly obvious to them.

I now view other's perception of me like this: Insults from the irrational = Compliments from the rational.

I wanted to know if it's for the best that I'm now a threat to my grade's deluded bubble of comfort or if I should try to go about the rest of my school days avoiding any potential instances that could draw attention to myself?

I have few friends, and they don't understand my thoughts very well, but they treat me well.

With the person that is the best friend you have now, could you give me an example of what you would like to say (something that really matters to you), and how the conversation would probably go?

Probably best to go for the latter - enlightenment happens one person at a time, trying to make an entire school grade uncomfortable just sounds like it would likely cause you a lot of unnecessary (and more importantly, unhelpful) aggravation.

I suggest that the best way to proceed, both at school and thereafter, is to quietly go about identifying the few people that you can engage with meaningfully; unnerving an entire social circle isn't likely to achieve much in terms of either connecting with people, or enlightening them. Depending on the context it *might* have some entertainment value, but that's about it.

Have you listened to podcast 478? If not, I think you might find it helpful. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have few friends, and they don't understand my thoughts very well, but they treat me well.

With the person that is the best friend you have now, could you give me an example of what you would like to say (something that really matters to you), and how the conversation would probably go?

I have a small circle of friends at school, one of them is a libertarian as well but he has left the school this year.

"Every family I've seen has used brutal force during their children's upbringing, and they've all succeeded at raising their child."

How do they know? Doesn't sound very successful to me. They can test the validity of their theory. If you tie somebody you're romantically interested in to a chair at the table of a candlelit dinner, are you endearing them? If you hold somebody's child hostage and threaten to harm them if the person doesn't employ you, are you developing job security?

Even if the claim were true, pointing to what is does nothing to address what could be. The only thing you can accomplish with violence that you cannot accomplish without violence is violent. Just because those families were violent doesn't mean that violence was the only way to do it. That would be superstitious. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

If you don't mind me asking, a lot of your thread has to do with other people. What about you? Have you examined how it's come to pass that the people you call friends are self-destructive to the point of wanting to kill themselves and advocating the brutalization of children? This is part of the problem with labels like "libertarian." When I read that word, I don't read "person who is infallible and/or in my tribe" like you wanted me to. This is a good explanation of why.

If you don't mind me asking, a lot of your thread has to do with other people. What about you? Have you examined how it's come to pass that the people you call friends are self-destructive to the point of wanting to kill themselves and advocating the brutalization of children? This is part of the problem with labels like "libertarian." When I read that word, I don't read "person who is infallible and/or in my tribe" like you wanted me to. This is a good explanation of why.

Well... The guy I labelled libertarian is a part of the fdr forum community, I guess the reason why I focus on other people more than myself is due to the fact that my life is taken up so much by the educational prison that binds me and since I'm discouraged to express myself there I started to lose my sense of self.

I learnt the hard way recently, I took up the school's offer to 'be different' as they called it but when I demonstrated my stance in my works they severely penalized me for going against their ideologies. I realized then that their push for originality was a façade and that they just wanted the students to not realized they're all just robots on a conveyor belt being injected with infected programs. 

Everyone keeps telling me that being alone is a bad thing but I feel like if I go solo I'll have a better chance at finding a group fit for me without external distractions. All my issues at school sprouted from my loneliness but being alone was what was protecting me from danger.

Well... The guy I labelled libertarian is a part of the fdr forum community, and he was concerned with the suicidal person as well. But I do see your point, I have a terrible tendency of putting myself before others and oddly enough my suicidal friend always tries to break me out of that by trying to get me to focus on myself instead of worrying over them, the podcast you linked describes my situation fairly well, running through hordes of people with a sack of pills on my back but making the mistake to focus on too many people.

I guess the reason why I focus on other people more than myself is due to the fact that my life is taken up so much by the educational prison that binds me and since I'm discouraged to express myself there I started to lose my sense of self.

I learnt the hard way recently, I took up the school's offer to 'be different' as they called it but when I demonstrated my stance in my works they severely penalized me for going against their ideologies. I realized then that their push for originality was a façade and that they just wanted the students to not realized they're all just robots on a conveyor belt being injected with infected programs. 

Everyone keeps telling me that being alone is a bad thing but I feel like if I go solo I'll have a better chance at finding a group fit for me without external distractions. All my issues at school sprouted from my loneliness but being alone was what was protecting me from danger.

How credible can it be for your friend who confesses thoughts about suicide frequently to you, to ask you to think about yourself? It is like a man with an arm dangling off in front of me saying "you should really be focusing on yourself man, you are really neglecting yourself" It would be ludicrous. But if he's in the same situation as you, i.e. trapped in prison at school, and trapped in prison at home, then I suppose that's why he is this damaged in the first place. I certianly do not think it is healthy for a young person to have to be in friendships like that. It is scarring, and will harden you if it does not already haunt you. This is just my opinion, but I wanted to bring it to bear and let you decide what you think of it. I don't mean to paint such a grim picture, I just was really concerned to hear that you're in a relationship like that.

I'm curious, why do you have to be at school at all? Is there a way you can not be at school? Here in America we have a GED, a high school equivalent which would help you get a job of some sort; at least then you wouldn't be in a prison environment and could be making some money. Just a thought

I guess the reason why I focus on other people more than myself is due to the fact that my life is taken up so much by the educational prison that binds me and since I'm discouraged to express myself there I started to lose my sense of self.

That makes perfect sense. When we don't process trauma by internalizing it, we end up seeking to re-create that trauma for its sense of normalcy. They try to erase you, so you conform to their preferences by erasing yourself for their benefit.

This still doesn't answer how you came to be friends with somebody who is that self-destructive.

It does raise a new question though: What about your parents? They've forced you into government school, have modeled harmful social behaviors to the point where you'd become friends with somebody who could destroy themselves, I'm assuming since you haven't mentioned it that you don't feel you could talk to them about it or that they wouldn't listen or take you seriously, and don't seem to care that you would erase yourself for the preferences of others, which is the opposite of the obligation they created to you.

I'm really sorry to hear about the individuality program at school. It almost seems like an invitation for those who aren't totally dominated by their will-breaking techniques to stand up so they can focus fire and finish the job. It's surgical to the point of being diabolical. I cannot believe stuff like this happens and there's still people out there that think schools are for education and teachers are saints.

• 1 month later...

Most people at high school have very little knowledge or interest in serious intellectual topics, so trying to 'convert' them to your position is probably going to be a waste of time. Better to just take people as they are, rather than as we want them to be, and enjoy their positive aspects, rather than focusing on their negative ones.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nahh dude.  I was the same, and at the end of high school people grew to like me and would ask me questions they knew their other friends wouldn't be able to help them with.  High school is fucking weird, but the people who are honest, intelligent, and stir some shit up end up the most satisfied and fulfilled.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.