A great topic.

Makes me wonder if I've ever met someone that has changed from type to another.

We can also get a bit more detailed and go into the difference between optimism/realism/pessimism when considering the past, present, and future. When thinking of the future, realism isn't an option though.

Hi, Carl!

When thinking of the future, realism isn't an option though.

I would argue that it is. Granted you can't know about the future like you can about the present, but you can make predictions and estimations based on the information and the mental capacity you have. Therefore, the more in touch with reality you are—and the healthier your psyche is in general—the more realistic predictions you can make about the future.

You're going with a really tough argument than as it goes against the definition of prediction. :P

I'm not trying to dispute what you're trying to get across, just to be clear. It's not a great idea to be unrealistically optimistic about that great new business idea you just came up with and plan on investing all your retirement savings on getting started.

There's also that whole biology thing going on as well which has an influence on your optimism/pessimism.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.