Thoughts on process of receiving trauma

Copper_Heart

This is a more of a logical exercise then anything else, but even though, most of it is based on scientific accounts from well respected scientists and scientific work.

There are some cultures, especially with strong family support that can be extremely effective in preventing trauma from setting in. In this cases joint pain and muscle ache usually happen after the event are main symptoms. This is explained by physical effort, secretion of cortisol and following relaxation.

In more lonely and isolated environment those symptoms, though, usually present itself but are ignored because catharsis never comes. Western big-city culture, does not provide a person with same support and sense of safety that a big family in Sicily could. Sicily arguably most psychologically healthy region of the west, or at least with least suicides per capita.

My interpretation of this in accordance to latest "memory reconsolidation" research, is that, traumatic experiences are immediately disconfirmed by wide tangible support-net and never go so far as to take root. Further more, it is easier to develop healthy tolerance(hypothalamus) to stress.

From this POV it becomes obvious that Western life style, where a person lives absolutely alone/without meaningful connections/in abusive environment never receives catharsis and trauma is entrenched in psyche. Healthy tolerance to any type of stress is almost impossible in this case.

Your thoughts?

P.S. I am going to buy book called "The Body Keeps Score Transformation Trauma" in order to advance in my self-therapy. I am currently stuck in the middle of IFS, because of incurring depression and mental blocks an searching different outlet for self-therapy. Any suggestions are welcome.

P.P.S. I defooed my extended family for period of this holidays, because of several conflicts. I feel extremely lonely. This is probably not a place to write about it, but I am not sure this where else to put it.

P.P.P.S. Yes, I am going to get counseling. From a good psychologist. I hope.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.