Defog your windows twice as fast, Scientific Method in action!

shirgall

Interesting, I always figured that the car was to smart to have the heater on and the AC on at the same time. I figured that moving the selector to heat will not activate the compressor since the selector would be like a thermostat, it would be inefficient to run the compressor if one wants heat.

I always used Cold Air. my car automatically switches to outside air when changing to defrost. but I always turn it back to inside because here in the swamp it humid outside.

Will try heat next time since its basically free. 

Also, there's no mention on how long the shaving cream will stay effective.

Interesting, I always figured that the car was to smart to have the heater on and the AC on at the same time. I figured that moving the selector to heat will not activate the compressor since the selector would be like a thermostat, it would be inefficient to run the compressor if one wants heat.

I have had cars where using the "defrost" setting would turn on the A/C for me. Seems like the more modern ones hide a lot of the internal processes, but they do a good job.

I have had cars where using the "defrost" setting would turn on the A/C for me. Seems like the more modern ones hide a lot of the internal processes, but they do a good job.

Right, And it might be the way the experiment was setup, which does not mimic real life, at least for me.

He is saturating the air inside the car. then using hot air to "expand the towel" inside the car and adsorbing the condensation. Makes sense to let in dryer outside air,

Now move to steamy South Florida. Hot air and high humidity. You have a saturated Big towel inside and outside the car. Its starts raining. the temperature of the glass drops related to the air inside the car, and condensation forms.

Should I then try to expand the towel inside the car? its already 90 degrees? Should I let saturated outside air in? I would say no to both. I will turn the AC and let the cold DRY air absorb the condensation from the glass. as the air passes by the evaporator it will cause condensation there, and that water will drain outside. So with the AC on and blocking outside air the air inside the car will be colder but dryer. and the most important "COMFORTABLE" :)

Right, And it might be the way the experiment was setup, which does not mimic real life, at least for me.

He is saturating the air inside the car. then using hot air to "expand the towel" inside the car and adsorbing the condensation. Makes sense to let in dryer outside air,

Now move to steamy South Florida. Hot air and high humidity. You have a saturated Big towel inside and outside the car. Its starts raining. the temperature of the glass drops related to the air inside the car, and condensation forms.

Should I then try to expand the towel inside the car? its already 90 degrees? Should I let saturated outside air in? I would say no to both. I will turn the AC and let the cold DRY air absorb the condensation from the glass. as the air passes by the evaporator it will cause condensation there, and that water will drain outside. So with the AC on and blocking outside air the air inside the car will be colder but dryer. and the most important "COMFORTABLE" :)

Yeah, that's why I liked that he explained the principles so that tests could be done in other conditions. He didn't spend a lot of time on controlling for outside conditions, though, so maybe that's a good follow-up video...

Yeah, that's why I liked that he explained the principles so that tests could be done in other conditions. He didn't spend a lot of time on controlling for outside conditions, though, so maybe that's a good follow-up video...

Agree, great way of explaining the science and getting kids involved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.